Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya. Since my clutch broke on my Power Wagon I decided to just toss the np445 and the np203 and swap in a 727 and a np208. Now my question is, if I buy a trans with the t-case attached from a newer truck (say, a 1986 RC), what else am I going to need? Will my old crossmember work? Will I need new driveshafts or will mine still work for now? Anything else that'll be different when I'm putting it in?
To shift it I plan to get a B&M or similar aftermarket shifter so I don't have to worry about the steering column, so that's not a going to be a concern.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Not sure about the driveshafts, but you will need the cross member.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Not sure, but isn't the trans tunnel different from the auto to the 4spd?
-Steve C.

·
Registered
846 Posts
isn't the t case from a 86 got all the cad stuff on it like the vac lines and what not? and your 78 has a full time front in it? i have all the stuff you need but shipping would probably kill you, the only thing i don't have is a rear drive shaft, my stuff is out of a lwb truck. but shifters and cross members i have and a tourque converter too. but it's all in central wisconsin.
shawn

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh, well, the problem isn't finding the trans, I just want to make sure I get everything I need. I wouldn't be using the CAD so maybe I could just plug the lines or pull em off? I'm going to swap a part time D60 that has manual hubs soon, but I plan to do the trans/t-case first.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just fix the clutch, let alone cheaper

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Get the front drive shaft.
-Steve C.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Evildriver-3 said:
Wouldn't it be easier to just fix the clutch, let alone cheaper
Well, $150 for a cheap clutch. Not to mention I'd rather have an auto when I'm offroad and the np445 dosn't even have granny gear and the 203 is full time and I want a part time case so really there are no advantages at all to keeping the current setup. And if I wanted to do the milemarker parttime kit and a new clutch it'd be as much as an auto w/ 208 anyways.
Oh, I'm gonna need a flexplate as well right?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yeah you need a flex plate and converter if you don't have it, not sure about the difference in lenght so figure 2 driveshafts also

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
MoparMurdoc said:
Heya. Since my clutch broke on my Power Wagon I decided to just toss the np445 and the np203 and swap in a 727 and a np208. Now my question is, if I buy a trans with the t-case attached from a newer truck (say, a 1986 RC), what else am I going to need? Will my old crossmember work? Will I need new driveshafts or will mine still work for now? Anything else that'll be different when I'm putting it in?
To shift it I plan to get a B&M or similar aftermarket shifter so I don't have to worry about the steering column, so that's not a going to be a concern.
What are you going to do with your old np445? I am looking for a mainshaft and tailhousing from a 445 to fit up to a 203. Let me know if you are willing to part with it.
william

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, i've got a lead on a trans, but its from a junkyard. They says it was good when the truck go there, but the truck has been sitting for 2.5 years. So it should be alright? What would I need to do to prep it before it put it in?

·
Registered
367 Posts
mm, I got out a ruler and a straight edge today, the 208 and 203 tcs have the mounting pad in the same place you won't need a cross member. The rear drive shaft will need shortened about 3 1/2" . I get about an inch difference in the front drive shaft flange location, the 208 drive shaft would need to be a hair less than an inch shorter than the 203 unit, you might get away with using that one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.