Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought they were the same. Maybe not.

Today I installed a new windshield in my RC, I had one that I'm sure I pulled from a late '80's PU, and one from a '70's PU. The '80's glass was noticably thicker than the '70's wind shield. I didn't think anything about it, but I think the '80s must use a different gasket.

I installed the thicker '80's windshield into my '77 RC (which originally had a thinner windshield in it) with the stock gasket, and it wasn't easy. The gasket clearly doesn't easily accomodate the thicker glass. It's so tight, that I didn't even install the lock strip across the top, it wasn't possible.

Anyone else run into this?

G

·
I don't know about the thickness, but the p.o. replaced the windshield in my 85 and didn't put the lock strip in and it leaked terribly from the top and the bottom. Something you may want to check.
Pierre

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
If theres a difference in windsheild thickness, then it would make sense to use the correct gasket. BTW it's still a good idea to replace the gasket anyways, as the old rubber one tends to harden and crack over time, and it may no longer be pliable enough to reuse.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got that thick bugger installed, it must have been pliable enough. :p

I'm sure it will leak some, but I have no roof, so it really doesn't matter. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts