Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a jeep wagonner in jy today. It has the front and back diffs. still on it. The grass was grown up on it and there was no wheels so it was buried in the dirt. It is a 6 lug hub with front disk brakes. Would this mean its at least a dana 44hd being that it is 6 lug? Would these fit under a dodge with only a little mod? I am not sure what year it is. someone painted the whole thing camo and ripped the door stickers off. I asked the jy but they didnt know offhand and acted little interested. They did quote me 500$ for the set. Could it be possible that these are dana 60?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
The Jeep Wagoneer came with a regular Dana 44 front axle. Number of lugs doesn't really matter since Dana 44s came in 5 lug in several patterns, 6 lugs, and 8 lugs. The 8 lug is what we call the HD. There isn't anything actually Heavy Duty about them, other than they are used in a 3/4 ton application.

You won't find a Dana 44HD with 6 lugs, all were 8 lugs, and you won't find a HD in a Wagoneer, since all were 1/2 tonners. However you can find them in the 3/4 ton Jeep J20 fullsize pick ups

I believe that some of the older Wagoneers will have closed knuckle Dana 44s, which isn't particulary stronger than the open knuckle versions.

Finally, Jeep tended to use driver's side pumpkins, like Fords, this means that in order for you to use it, you need to run the front driveshaft under the driver's side of the truck, underneath, and this means, you'll need to swap out your transfer case which has a passenger side front drive output to a driver's side front drive output.

Your best bet for an axle is to look for a Dodge or older solid axle Chevy or GMC.

Ed

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pumpkin is on the pass side. That much I could see. I could barely make out the oil fill hole also. I was trying remember the shape cause of the diff betreewn the 44 and 60 but cant. Would it be poss that someone swapped in diff, if jeep is on the drivers side and this one is on the pass?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
OK I stand corrected. A 70ish Jeep Wagoneer will have a passenger side pumpkin. (I should have read that in the subject title) In the 80s Jeep switched to driver's side pumpkins on all Wagoneers.

A better way to tell the difference between a Dana 44 and a Dana 60, rather than try to remember the shape of the diff cover, look on the opposite side of the cover. Near the yoke, you'll either see a "44" or "60" cast into the pumpkin. One clue to a Dana 60. All will come with 8 lugs. But you still need to make sure you're not looking at a Dana 44HD, which also comes with 8 lugs.

Ed

·
Registered
364 Posts
RXT, since you seem to know a bit about fsj's, do you happen to know what a 70's 1-ton jeep truck would have for a front axle? I found one up north but forgot to check the front. It has a dana 60 rear... i know that much.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
since i am an fsj'er and have owned numerous fsjs. let me point some of the unknowns. first of all, the d44hd on the j20 3/4 ton truck is actually heavier than the standard d44. the axle tubes are thicker. the internals are the same.
the fsj d44 was five lug till 73 thru 74 (change over years). then, they went to 6 lug d44s (chevy pattern).
the closed knuckle fsj d44 has a wider turning radius, and is drum brake.
further, 1963 thru 1979 fsjs used the passenger side pumpkin with either quadratrac tc (1973 thru 1979)or dana 20 transfer cases. 1980 and later was driver side pumpkin using np 208 part time tc or np 219, 228, 229 full time cases.
the axles on a wagoneer or narrow track cherokee are 6 inches narrower than a j truck or wide track cherokee. the wagoneer axles will be too narrow for a dodge truck.
mud patrol, all 3/4 and 1 ton jeep trucks came with the d44hd up front. there are a few applications such as the military m-715, 725, 726 that came with a front 5 lug closed knuckle d60 (and, d70 rear). but that was strictly military. any other questions?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
RXT said:
. One clue to a Dana 60. All will come with 8 lugs.
Not true, like stated above, there are some SF dana 60s that are 5 luggers. They are very far and few tho, but they are out there.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Dodge 85 RC said:
RXT said:
. One clue to a Dana 60. All will come with 8 lugs.
Not true, like stated above, there are some SF dana 60s that are 5 luggers. They are very far and few tho, but they are out there.
Try to keep things in context. I know there are SF Dana 60s with 5 lugs. Plenty of BB Mopar muscle cars had them and yes they are rare, but you ain't gonna find it under a Wagoneer. The M715 is not a Wagoneer. It's a military version of the Jeep J20. These are Full Floater Dana axles but with big 5 lug bolt pattern (Similar to the big 5 pattern found in M37 Power Wagon)

Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts