Dodge RamCharger Central banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my friends 69 Bug... which I kinda told him I could fix (if the price was right). I can't get the engine compartment open. I've never even been within 10 feet of a bug before this one, so assume I'm an idiot on the topic. The thing is unlocked, and you can hit the button and pull on it and it starts to come, but seems to be stuck somewhere up the right side. I don't know if it's jammed or if there's a latch that I just don't know about. Anyone got one of these? Anyone able to answer?

Thanks guys,

derek
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,070 Posts
Sounds like it's stuck on something
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,973 Posts
There's no other latch than the push button. How far can you get it open ? Sounds like the right side hinge may be screwed up. Vw's have spring loaded 'hood' hinges, if it is worn and popped 'over center', or rusted up in some way, you have a major bitch on your hands. What shape is the 'hood' in, and the body around it, when was the last time your friend had it open ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
Make sure the owner does not have it wired shut, some of those old VW's had broken latches. Other than that, just show it who's boss and jerk that sucker open like you got a pair! 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,499 Posts
You ARE looking in the trunk, right? ;D ;D ;D I helped a guy I know rebuild a 64 Bus engine... There's only like 70 parts in the thing, so you shouldn't have too much trouble with it. If you're going to rebuild it, JCW has a rebuild kit that comes with 1650 cc cylinders instead of the 1500 stock ones. I think it was around $250

Matt {peace}
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,070 Posts
Well if you can't get the hood (trunk) open jack it up you can the motor out from the bottom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
I actually owned a 74 VW campmobile that I drove as my daily driver! I hated that thing so much that I grew to like it a little. White knuckle driving on the highway in a crosswind though.

TaZMaNiaK said:
You ARE looking in the trunk, right? ;D ;D ;D I helped a guy I know rebuild a 64 Bus engine... There's only like 70 parts in the thing, so you shouldn't have too much trouble with it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,973 Posts
macario said:
Make sure the owner does not have it wired shut, some of those old VW's had broken latches. Other than that, just show it who's boss and jerk that sucker open like you got a pair! 8)
LOL - this is another way of viewing the problem - :p

ED3 is right, you can pull the engine without opening the hood. You should also be able to reach the hinge bolts from underneath with long extension and a lot of cussing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,070 Posts
Lol cursing profoundly makes everything seem better
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,764 Posts
Tell ya what. I'll give him $5 for it. Bring it to me and then it'll be my problem!! ;D Afterwards, I'll let ya know how.....









EZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
it's jammed somwhere there is nothing there to release except the push button,try pushing down on the corner that is stuck,or pull down on the whole hood towards the ground when trying to open. and try the forums at thesamba.com,it's the RCC for volkswagen...
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
29,380 Posts
txlizard said:
it's jammed somwhere there is nothing there to release except the push button,try pushing down on the corner that is stuck,or pull down on the whole hood towards the ground when trying to open. and try the forums at thesamba.com,it's the RCC for volkswagen...
This thread is 3 years old!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
My wife had 69 when I married he- damn friggin japs. check out the heater/fan circuits. There real cool!

Guess your gonna have to slide under that love bug to move the latch by hand...

 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top