Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the oil in the 65's 383 tonight, here's my procedure:

Warmed the car up real nice, added a can of CRC Engine Flush
Ran for five minutes, jacked up, and drained from plug.
Mopped up mess in driveway
Put plug back in, pulled off oil filter
Put on oil filter (which was much less in length, but the one prescribed by the parts book)
Added 5 quarts of oil, pulled off coil wire and turned over a bit, added coil wire, and started.
I warmed it up for a couple of minutes, then drove it around the corner to turn it around. This is when I noticed that the "OIL" light in the dash is on, and won't go off.
I parked it back in the driveway, and shut it down.
Climbed under, and checked the pan and filter for leaks, none.
Checked oil level, and it seemed a little bit low, but I figured it was still cold really.
I started it again, and the light was still on.
I thought maybe the pan had been switched out for a larger capacity, so I added another quart (figured if that didn't solve it, I'd be draining again anyway tomorrow)
Started it, and not only was the light on, but now i heard a ticking from under the hood. I shut it off, and here I am.

Could I have loosened enough crud that didn't come out to clog the pump or filter that fast?
Where is the sensor (Could I have knocked the wire loose and grounded it, and be imagining the ticking)?
What else do you think could be going on here?

derek

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
So what was the problem? Knock the SU wire off?

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
c'mon derek, you can tell me what you did. it cant be any worse than some of the stuff i have done ;D ;D

eric

·
Registered
30,099 Posts
the cleaner plugged the oil sending unit / the sender is on the back of the block / there is NO way he knocked it off

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So here we are now:

The other day I grabbed the wrong filter out of a moving box, one for my truck instead of one for the car. I put that on there and pulled off the coil wire, turned it over a while, then started it. That's when the oil light was on. Last night I realized i had put the wrong filter on there, so I switched it this afternoon. Did the same thing with the coil, and the oil light was still on, so I pulled the filter back off, and it was dry. So something between the pan and filter is full of crap. Could be the pump or the pickup/screening assembly. Either way, I'm going to take the pan off sometime in the next two weeks I think. Jeez this is a mess.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Yup u got a clogged up screen or the pump is full of crap .... either way don't run it till u get some earl flowing through the engine the right way again anyhow ....

·
Registered
30,099 Posts
well with it being a BB it has an external oil pump / l would pull it off and then blow air thru the pick-up hole with the drain plug out / that and make sure the DIST oil pump drive shaft didnt break / throw a new pump on there too / this is alot easier than pulling the pan

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That pump is right about $130, I can't afford that right now...

·
Registered
30,099 Posts
l,d put a new sending unit in if not a real gauge

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Check the pump, take it off and check it!!! jesus christ you'll need a motor if you keep playin the games your playing, if the dist gear drive broke you will know when you take the pump off, if the pump works and the drive isn't broke drop the pan, the pick-up is the next problem.

Oh yeah call summit and get a high volume pump for less than that $130, way less than that like $53 exactly, why you guy's don't use summit is beyond me

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
why you guy's don't use summit is beyond me
because Summit does not always have the best price. Case in point: Yesterday, I priced a speedo cable for a torqueflite that will fit an autometer speedo. Summit price: $53 + $20 shipping. Same cable at my local NAPA: $11

Tough choice. Why you don't shop around is beyond me. ::)

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I shopped around, and I'm actually trading a old rusted probably bombed 904 for a new high volume pump.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Slanted_Mind said:
Evildriver-3 said:
why you guy's don't use summit is beyond me
because Summit does not always have the best price. Case in point: Yesterday, I priced a speedo cable for a torqueflite that will fit an autometer speedo. Summit price: $53 + $20 shipping. Same cable at my local NAPA: $11

Tough choice. Why you don't shop around is beyond me. ::)
Who are you talking to, im not the one thinking of buying a $50 dollar hv pump for $130 (needles to say the 1 he quoted was not hv). summit has the hv pumps cheaper, and since when does summit charge shipping, never charged me unless i wanted it next day

So please direct your comments where they need to be directed, i am not the 1 needing help shopping around here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts