Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really planning on doing this, at least not anytime soon, but how would someone go about making a multi point style fuel injection setup for a slant?

would the extra effort be worth it over a throttle body setup?, if not, how hard would it be to set up a throttle body?

would there be much improvement over a carb?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
The advantages of MPFI--no more fuel distribution bias/problems (I.E. 1 & 6 being lean, 3 & 4 being rich).

Realistically, MPFI is not worth the effort IMO. No place to (conveniently) mount a cam position/crank position sensor. Not saying it cannot be done, but you will need a machine shop and some $$$.

Batch fire is much more plausible. HERE is an article written on converting the slant to batch-fire EFI using J/Y parts from GM 3.8 L V6's (Article from http://www.slantsix.org ) Biggest obsticles to this route are (1) finding a GM 3.8L in the J/Y and (2) construction of a fuel rail (custom).

IMHO, TBI is the way to go on a slant. TBI will not completely 'cure' the fuel distribution problems, but should help greatly, as an injector vaporizes fuel much better than a carb. TBI eliminates the need for a fuel rail, and does not require sensors such as a cam position sensor. As I understand it, aftermarket EFI computers like the MegaSquirt can use the tach output signal from an MSD or similar ignition to fire the injectors.

A twin-TBI slant is on my 'to-do' list in the next few years, $$$ and time permitting of course.

Obviously the 'other' benefits of EFI such as better mpg, easier starting, drivability, etc would be realized with any EFI setup, once properly tuned. :)

-SM

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
l,d use a jeep 4 liter setup and the crank trigger is easy to do / Chrysler invented it / it mounts right to the harmonic balancer / its been around since the early 60,s

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
DODGEBOYS said:
l,d use a jeep 4 liter setup and the crank trigger is easy to do / Chrysler invented it / it mounts right to the harmonic balancer / its been around since the early 60,s
There is not much room to work with there on a slant---the HB drives a belt, leaving about 1/2" of balancer to work with. How big is the crank trigger?

Seems an easier way to go about it would be to use the distributor, installing a second hall effect sensor as a cam position sensor.

Mental ramblings.....

-SM

G

·
http://slantsix.org/articles/dibiase_efi/efi-conversion.htm

I've been told that the Clifford manifold would be best for converting to fuel injection because it is supposed to have better flow characteristics and already has the injector bosses cast into it. However, this manifold must be used with headers and that's something I didn't want to do. It is my understanding that headers are not the best choice for a turbo setup, which is my ultimate goal. Based on this, and the cost, I chose the aluminum Offenhauser 4-BBL manifold. This manifold is still available from JC Whitney (www.jcwhitney.com) as P/N 73ZX7653A for $230 (wrong picture on web site), and Performance Automotive Warehouse (www.pawinc.com) as P/N 5720. Of course, the least expensive alternative is to use your stock cast iron manifold, or even the stock aluminum manifold. For my setup I had Rance Fuel Injection (www.rancefi.com) do the machine work and weld the injector bungs and fuel rail brackets on my Offenhouser manifold. The total cost for the machining, welding, and the fabrication of the fuel rail was $460. Rance is also an Accel and Offenhauser distributor.

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
What you want for a turbo on your slant is dual Dutra Duals.

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
Yep, that's it, MM. Nice fat castings.

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
It's indispensable, and well-moderated too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts