Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm looking at buying a truck. Its a 96 ram, 3500, 4X4, 5spd(should say 4spd) with a cummins. Its got 200,000K on it which doesn't really bother me. What I'm wondering is the guys said 5th gear doesn't work. Why? I drove it, and I know you can't really test a truck or tranny in a test drive, but it felt good and sold. Clutch felt good, it seemed to shift good. I was talking to my dad and he said something about the manual transmissions had a weakness, and that was 5th gear. Something about a nut/bolt tended to vibrate loose. I'm not really sure. Anyways, I was hoping some of you guys knew or have heard something about this? How hard is it to fix? and Hopefully cheaply? Thanks.

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
Yep the nuts works loose on the end of the 5th gear shaft, 5th slides back and won't mesh in with the drive gear. It's a pretty easy fix once it's out of the truck from what I've seen in videos, you just take the tail-housing off and tighten it back up. The video I saw from "trucks" they put 2 spot welds on it to keep it there.  ;D

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
mopar65pa said:
It's a pretty easy fix once it's out of the truck from what I've seen in videos, you just take the tail-housing off and tighten it back up..................if you want to have to do the job over again
mopar65pa said:
It's a pretty easy fix once it's out of the truck from what I've seen in videos, you just take the tail-housing off, remove the main shaft, repair mainshaft damage, replace the gear, rebuild transmission and tighten it back up......after adding a filter and proper fluid
{cool}

Can you spot any problems?

http://quad4x4.com/NV4500%205th%20Gear%20Failures%20and%20Solutions.htm

·
Registered
52,716 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
mopar65pa said:
The video I saw from "trucks" they put 2 spot welds on it to keep it there. ;D
This is an ok fix. The problem with welding it is when it does fail again it takes alot of parts with it. A fully splined output, as pictured, is the true fix.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I used the updated nut on my truck, but I updated as a preventative, not a repair.  I have heard that once the gear comes off, the only real fix is the updated mainshaft.

I have heard good things about the welding fix.  I personally would never do it.  Welding on anything heat treated and case hardened must be done with very precise and specific steps.  It is not possible in some situations.

A gear or shaft will start to lose it's case hardening at 300 degrees F.  Something to keep in mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts