Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have searched thru the archives and not really found a direct answere to this question...

are there and 5 speed non hydraulic clutch choices to swap into my 82 crew cab?

my truck is a daily driver and I would love to have that extra gear.

if that isnt an option shuold i make the change to a 518?

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
The only 5 speeds are the Getrag and NV4500.  Those use a hydraulic setup.  You should not be heisitant of doing the hydraulic conversion.  It is fairly straight-foward and I wouldn't let it stop me from installing a 5 speed.

G

·
The low pedal pressure is nice. I've wondered if one of Keisler's conversion master cyls would work on a truck. On a car they go through the floorboard were the mechanical linkage went.
From what I gather drilling the holes in the column brace under the dash to mount the stock master cyl bracket is a PITA even with a right angle drill.
Guess I'll find out how bad it is, be doing a hyd. install on my '84.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Interesting topic because years ago I swapped my NV3500 for the NV4500 to get the extra gear. We mounted the new hydraulic master cylinder as high as we could w/o relocating the brake booster and it is still a fairly hard pedal. I've gotten used to it and reinforced my firewall since then but we could never figure out why it is so hard.

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
flr0meo said:
I've gotten used to it and reinforced my firewall since then but we could never figure out why it is so hard.
Location of the pivot point leverages the piston. How/where did you mount the actuator rod?

·
Registered
636 Posts
yeah i realize this. I mounted the hydraulic master cylinder as high as I could w/o moving the brake booster. I can give you exact distance from the pivot point tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts