Dodge RamCharger Central banner
121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,018 Posts
What's interesting how little headers had over manifolds. In other engines you see larger gains on the dyno. I wonder how my manifolds would compare. I have the larger exhaust but also had them extruded

·
Administrator
60,208 Posts
I was looking at the fuel/air mixtures. With the headers being richer, does that mean they get slightly worse mileage? I know you have to look at the part throttle mixtures and HP to get the full pic, but still find it interesting.

·
Super Moderator
14,018 Posts
Well they certainly would get less fuel efficiency relative to power (BSFC). under an ideal test situation this would've been done with fuel injection and oxygen sensors allowing for fuel trim.

·
Registered
'79 Dodge Power Wagon Macho
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
What's interesting how little headers had over manifolds. In other engines you see larger gains on the dyno. I wonder how my manifolds would compare. I have the larger exhaust but also had them extruded
I think that is a testament to how well the stock Magnum manifolds actually flow - even the smaller ones. I didn't know that there were two different sized manifolds actually. I wish I could run the Magnum manifolds in my rig but I can't as they interfere with the kickdown linkage. I'm still waiting to put my new cam in but still no valve springs.
How much larger are your manifolds over stock?

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
I hear the drivers side 340 manifold flows slightly better than the Magnum manifold but the passenger side Magnum manifold out flows the passenger side 340 manifold.

·
Super Moderator
14,018 Posts
It's been a long time and I don't remember now. i didn't think to take a photo, but it was notably opened up and a lot smoother than original. With my 2 1/2" duals, they even have a slightly header-like sound to them.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I'm sure they would being a little thinner and lighter. Must sound nice at the tailpipe also. I sure wish I could run those manifolds. If I keep this engine, I my put some short tube headers that exit out the center on mine soon also.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
I was looking at the fuel/air mixtures. With the headers being richer, does that mean they get slightly worse mileage? I know you have to look at the part throttle mixtures and HP to get the full pic, but still find it interesting.
I'm sure it does kill a bit of economy. On any engine - especially carbureted engines - it is so important to read your plugs and tune the induction by the colour of the plugs. The one downfall to carburetors is that you can only static tune them as opposed to being able to adjust them on the fly like EFI can as you know. I just tune my engine to what it does the most - which is driving on the street in traffic more than anything else and so it's tuned for economy at lower rpm and so I don't worry so much about what goes on in the other rpm ranges with my carburetor as there is not much anyone can do about it without ripping it apart all the time anyway.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
P.S. I didn't get a chance to work on my truck today as I rode the 40 minute bus to my truck and realized that I forgot my keys and couldn't get to my tools or to start it and had to turn right around and come home. Lol. That's what lack of sleep does to ya. I'll try again tomorrow. Lol

·
Super Moderator
14,018 Posts
I'm sure it does kill a bit of economy. On any engine - especially carbureted engines - it is so important to read your plugs and tune the induction by the colour of the plugs. The one downfall to carburetors is that you can only static tune them as opposed to being able to adjust them on the fly like EFI can as you know. I just tune my engine to what it does the most - which is driving on the street in traffic more than anything else and so it's tuned for economy at lower rpm and so I don't worry so much about what goes on in the other rpm ranges with my carburetor as there is not much anyone can do about it without ripping it apart all the time anyway.
Several models of Weber carburetors let you tune several phases of operation. It's a serious art and requires a lot of patience to get right, but they are the ultimate in non-EFI tuning

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
I could only imagine. It's hard enough setting up a 6 Pack let alone one or more of those Weber's.

·
Super Moderator
14,018 Posts
Filter3
Jet inspection cover4
Needle valve8
Float9
Emulsion tube holder10
Air corrector jet11
Idle jet holder12
Emulsion tube13
Main jet15
Idle jet16
Auxiliary venturi17
Air horn18
Main venturi22
Air bypass screw26
Throttle plate33
Idle mixture screw56
Pump jet57
Starter air jet74

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Lol, wow. I see why they are difficult to tune. Looks like a lot of needle and seat valves.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Well, FINALLY got the pig home (all glory to God!). I've got lots to finish up yet and I need to fine tune the timing but other than that, it runs strong. I need to lengthen the other heater hose and secure both to the fender well also. I can't stand the looks of those generic radiator hoses but for now they work.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
After 2 weeks the engine runs strong and not one drop anywhere. I'm impressed with the Magnum engines, so far I highly recommend one. This 360 just purs and great power! I can't wait to install the cam and possibly shorty headers soon.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
After 2 weeks the engine runs strong and not one drop anywhere. I'm impressed with the Magnum engines, so far I highly recommend one. This 360 just purs and great power! I can't wait to install the cam and possibly shorty headers soon.
Glad to hear of your success!

I have a future project that includes a Magnum.
1) 1974 Dodge RC with a rusted out shell
2) 1978 Ply TD body
3) 1999 Dodge durango SLT with a 5.9 with massive electrical gremlins.
4) Combine all 3 into 1 and Holly snyper the magnum or find a MPFI stand alone system.

I hate to do this project mainly because one is a 74, one is a trailduster 440 w/ AC. I'd like to restore each individually but they will never be #s matching soooo... Frankenstein it is with 74 half doors and top

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Hey brother that sounds pretty cool! Make sure you post pictures!

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
In the meantime, I'm off to Rib Fest!!! 😎

Attachments

121 - 140 of 142 Posts