Dodge RamCharger Central banner
101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
'79 Dodge Power Wagon Macho
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
an in line vibrator type fuel pump that only makes 5-6 psi and costs 25 dollars will keep your bowls full with out return lines and potential fire hazards but most young hot rodders believe they need large pumps and regulators because the shops that sell this stuff get more sales ?
My pump is electric pump is 4-7 psi and the return line is to prevent vapor locking in the summer time and promote better idle.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
your reg looks like a spring over pressure venting to a return line . . MYSELF I would NOT mount that on or near a hot engine or exhaust system . I'd place that on the frame rail and make a 3 sided box around it so it cannot atomize a leak into a spray .
I hear what you are saying but I had a similar style fuel regulator mounted on top of my small block Chevy screamer for 16 years with no issues at all maintaining over 43 psi nominally. Plus, all of the factory fuel pressure regulators are on top of the fuel rails also. Just sayin.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,336 Posts
360 magnum pressure reg is in/at tank , only the early 318 mags have it on back of motor , just sayin too ;)

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Well, got my rad and rad support in yesterday. I hope to drive it home today. All I need to do is bend new tranny lines to the Trans cooler, hook up my throttle cable and vacuum line to the booster, extend a heater hose and fill the rad and finish wiring in my electric fuel pump and it's ready to fire after a LONGGGGGGGGG 5 months! I've never had a weekend's worth of work stretch out to 5 months before. Insane. Oh well, at least it's done. I suffer from severe sleep deprivation due to my spinal cord injury and sometimes worry about if I remembered to tighten a bolt in the engine or forgotten to lock tight some bolts or if clearanced the bearings properly. I guess I will find out soon! Lol.

Attachments

Reactions: SuperBurban

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Question: What are my options for my high pressure power steering line? The Magnum uses an O-ring and the LA uses the old flare style. I'm at a crossroad. Options?

·
Super Moderator
14,018 Posts
In a worst case, you bring your lines to a hydraulic shop (any truck shop that deals with snow plows or lift gates) and they can make one for you.

·
Administrator
60,208 Posts
You should be able to take the fitting off the back, and swap it with the old pump. Or if you have a pulley puller, you can take the pulley off, and swap the brackets. They are the same pump inside.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Interesting. I never realized the fitting was removable. I'll have to wait until the morning to try to swap it with my old pump. If that works that saves me 20 bucks on a new hose or doing what Doc said - good advice by the way as I could also take it down to the industrial store that deals in fittings and hoses such. I also noticed that the '96 Ram's hose looks very similar to the '79's hose, so buying one for a '96 my be an option also but I like the fitting thing best. Hope it works. Cheers. (Right now, it's the only reason why I didn't drive it home today).

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 · (Edited)
'96 hose first and the '79 hose second. They look close. If the fitting swap don't work then a hose for a '96 might. I still wish I lived in the states as your prices are always so much cheaper. A new hose here in my town is just under $20 - at Parts Geek - $8.95 USD. Killin' me. Lol, and at the industrial store - $20 for sure. I know that RockAuto is cheap but I would like to have it now. Here's an image of the '96 and '79 hose, it has similar bends as the '79.

Actually looking at it that other hose doesn't look anything like the actual '79 hose. Disregard the image for it, but the actual '79 does look like the '96.

Attachments

·
Administrator
60,208 Posts
I brought this up before, Guess I was not clear enough. My apologies, You could have had the truck home by now.

You might be past this point, but before you get things too buttoned up, check the fitting on the back of the PS pump, you might need to switch it with the fitting from your old pump, to match the hose. Be careful taking them off, there is a spring, and washer underneath that controls the pressure, So do not loose them.
Yes, that the fitting I was thinking of. Somewhere along the line they switched from a flare fitting, to an o-ring, just not sure when. Glad its working out.

·
Administrator
60,208 Posts
'96 hose first and the '79 hose second. They look close. If the fitting swap don't work then a hose for a '96 might. I still wish I lived in the states as your prices are always so much cheaper. A new hose here in my town is just under $20 - at Parts Geek - $8.95 USD. Killin' me. Lol, and at the industrial store - $20 for sure. I know that RockAuto is cheap but I would like to have it now. Here's an image of the '96 and '79 hose, it has similar bends as the '79.

Actually looking at it that other hose doesn't look anything like the actual '79 hose. Disregard the image for it, but the actual '79 does look like the '96.
The 96 hose will have the wrong fitting at the gear box end. If you are going to buy a new hose, get one for a late 80's truck, but you will still need to change the fitting at the gear box end.

Changing the fitting, or PS pump is the best route, that way you still use a readily available hose.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
My buddy's extremely messy shop at home. Unfortunately, he and his wife are Bimmer fans but my truck has grown on him sitting there the past few months and so slowly I am converting him without him realizing it. Muwahahaha

His wife Z3 on top and his V10 powered M5 underneath. That's their favorite position. 🤣

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: neil4224

·
Administrator
60,208 Posts
Don't tell me those are bimmer brakes on the floor.

Looks like a hassle if she goes to work first.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
I brought this up before, Guess I was not clear enough. My apologies, You could have had the truck home by now.
Lol, I know but I already had the hose but tried it anyway and in that discussion I don't remember any mention of the fitting at the back of the pump. I like fitting swap idea best and that's the first thing I will try. It figures that the fitting at the box end is different also. Lol.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
No those rotors came from a Toyota FJ with rear brakes that were so bad that the rear caliper piston was touching the non-existent brake rotor surface. It was ground to the center cooling fins. Scary that vehicles are driving around like that. That's why I like big trucks and big tires and big bumpers for the street. I want to snap a photo of the caliper. When I do I'll post it, it's unreal.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
And saw my first TRX in person today. Cool rig.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
They went away for a week. She also drives an X5 as her daily driver. It must be a virus in their neighborhood as my friends have 3 Bimmers in their driveway and just down the street a husband and wife have 6 Bimmers in their driveway and 3 of them are ultra rare one of them has an OEM roll cage in it and Its all black with gold wheels. I know nothing nor care to know nothing about those types of cars. During my T/A years I was a tekky and loved injection and titanium and carbon fiber but I went back to my roots and don't regret it for a moment. Old trucks and cars are just so much better in many ways, some people have just forgotten and others just don't know! Retro mods are definitely cool though.

·
Administrator
60,208 Posts
I got in trouble too easy with fast cars.

Reactions: neil4224

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
I found this interesting video on a 360 Magnum with a carburetor doing exhaust comparisons on a dyno.

·
Administrator
60,208 Posts
Interesting.

101 - 120 of 142 Posts