Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
'79 Dodge Power Wagon Macho
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here swapped a carb onto their 5.9 Magnum and upgraded the cam and valve springs also? Aren't the factory springs beehive? I'm wanting a bit better cam in mine. Thoughts.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, I found another 5.9 Magnum with 160,000 kms on it. It's runs great, no smoke on cold start, no knocks or ticks. Obviously I will be aborting my other 360.

·
Registered
13,333 Posts
1992-3 magnum I did springs were NOT beehive . personally the difference in power between a magnum and improved L/A comes from the MP injection and the spark/fuel controll of the pcm . with out those the mag is just a L/A with better heads and compression . putting a carb on my mag was no different than the L/A's I've "built" over the years , and my stock '93 5.9 still has seat noticeable more power by FAR .  In other words a waste of time/money . If I ever did it again , it would be a multi port fuel injected magnum run by a pcm . I learned the hard way . BTW a sniper or some such is not much different than throttle body or a carb is it ? ya needs the pcm control of spark and fuel delivered AS close to the intake port as possible , direct would be even better . IMO 

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand that injection is better in some ways but I want to keep my truck looking period correct and i like the simplicity of a carburetor and don't want the hassles of replacing sensors all the time and installing a spaghetti wiring harness and computer, etc.

·
Registered
13,333 Posts
were it I , I would use a factory harness , no speggetti , and remove the "magnum " from the air filter , have it LOOK like a stock air filter ...........

·
Super Moderator
29,545 Posts
Keep in mind that the 300 HP 360 Magnum crate engine Mopar Performance sold years ago was the exact same as a production 5.9L Magnum engine in a BR series truck, just with a 750 CFM carb, dual plane intake, old school electronic ignition, headers and the emissions crap stripped off. The 360 HP version was the same engine with an upgraded cam and single plane intake. Up the 360 HP version to 11:1 compression and a .590 cam, you can easily get over 400 HP.

And yes, I've done it.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I'm hoping to use the serpentine belt system with the carburetor. That article mentions that you need to put the LA timing cover on and run the V-belts - I hope not.

·
Administrator
60,205 Posts
Did you get all the front end stuff? alt/ ac mount, PS pump & mount? Pulleys? If you have it all, then you should be ok. the biggest issue most run into, is the PS pump mounts to the Magnum head, and they are not running the mag head.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the all of the accessories on the front but of course I will deep six the A/C pump seeing as my truck has no A/C in it. I would like to keep the reverse cooling and serpentine advantages if I can.

·
Registered
13,333 Posts
mags have a "yoke" that holds the A/C compressor, the alternator ,and the power steering pump , its not like the L/A where those things have bolts through the water pump, on a mag the water pump is a separate thing .
What I found with it is the aftermarket intake manifold for a carb interfered with the mount for the A/C compressor, not needing / wanting A/C I found a hacksaw easily removed that part of the "yoke" and clearance was made . Fan belt was now shorter , and the "right lenght" was readily available at auto pts store , no idler pulley required to eliminate A/C on a mag , just a shorter belt  ,( NO IT IS NOT the belt"listed" for non A/C truck )  the mag power steering pump works fine as well . So if you have every thing else , I'd just get a mag p/s pump , even one from a v6 is the same ....... IF you are interested , I have a number for a mag truck with the A/C removed , I'm running 2 of those trucks ...

·
Administrator
60,205 Posts
That spot would be screaming to me to fab a mount for a second alternator.  {cruise}

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
SuperBurban said:
That spot would be screaming to me to fab a mount for a second alternator. {cruise}
either dual Alts , onboard air , or a power steering pump for a hydraulic winch

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So for me to be able to run the serpentine belt system i need to use this ugly contraption?

Attachments

·
Administrator
60,205 Posts
Yes. and there is a belt tensioner that mounts to the passenger side, below the alt.

·
Administrator
60,205 Posts
The coil also mounts at the same place (or to the same bracket, Don't remember).

Attachments

·
Registered
13,333 Posts
Canadian country boy said:
So for me to be able to run the serpentine belt system i need to use this ugly contraption?
yes , but the 4 bolt deal is for the A/C compressor you don't need , some where in there the hacksaw comes into play , raining today or I'd get a photo of the 1 I did .... I'm running the E coil from the magnum too . I'll get ya the belt number that fits The yoke deal is a GOOD thing man , the water pump being separate means it can be sealed properly and serviced alone , the front timing chain cover and its seal can be aligned / centered with the damper then don't leak seep like the L/A's did , all in all a MUCH better set up than the vee belts ...

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok cool, thanks guys. I guess I'll be painting this thing blue also. I like the idea of leaving the area where the A/C pump mounts alone for options down the road to mount an extra alternator or P/S pump or onboard air compressor.

·
Registered
13,333 Posts
Canadian country boy said:
Ok cool, thanks guys. I guess I'll be painting this thing blue also. I like the idea of leaving the area where the A/C pump mounts alone for options down the road to mount an extra alternator or P/S pump or onboard air compressor.
try it BUT IIRC the aftermarket intake manifold FOR the carb or sniper you want to install interferes with the A/C bracket area

·
Registered
13,333 Posts
I think I did not push the button on one intended photo , I can get the belt number when that other truck gets home tonight . thats an eddy , 1406 manual ... pix 3 is the hacksaw work ... this is a 1986 with a '92 wiper motor, and brake combi valve . YOU must use the mag fan , it rotates the opposite way from an L/A

Attachments

1 - 20 of 142 Posts