Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up a couple RC's. the one i'm keeping is an '83 with full-time 4x4. is there an article somewhere that tells me how to R&R the front rotors? any special tools needed? my Chilton's is useless.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
well it's a part time RC unless it has the full time swapped in from an older rig .... anyhow the rotorsa are cake to get off and such .... need basic hand tools is all ..... pull off the tire ..... pull the 2 bolts out of back of the caliper and pull off the rotor is all it takes ..... granted repacking hte bearings is not much more to do either and should be done while you got it apart .....

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
not too sure about full time axles, which like brian said had to have been swapped into the 83, but on the part time axle that should be there, a special socket is needed to get the hub off.

Duane

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
You can get it at any parts store, you're looking for a Dana 44 spindle nut socket. Should run you less than $20, or some places may just let you borrow/rent one for a few bucks. Not a bad tool to have though.

Looks like this:

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
well it might have auto hubs, which lock and unlock automatically. its possible a CAD axle or a full time axle has been swapped in. if its a CAD, check the FAQ for how it works, assuming when it was installed it was hooked up right. it is also possible that the drive flanges from a CAD axle were installed in place of the hubs that were there. the best thing first is check the bolt pattern, it should be 5x5.5. if its 5x4.5, then its a full time axle.

Duane

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
That tool is for non-locking hubs (not automatic or manual - either cad or fulltime 4x4 axle). In CAD and fulltime, the hubs are always engaged.. Some people mistakenly think they are automatic hubs, because there's no manual twist lock, but in reality they are permanently engaged. In a full time 4x4, they are ovbiously never NOT driven, and in a CAD axle, it is exactly as the name implys.. Central Axle Disconnect - the driver's side axleshaft is two pieces, and a vacuum controlled motor connects or disconnects the axle halves depending on the position of the transfer case. There is no need for the hubs to disengage, because the front differential is open, so when the axle is disconnected, it's just like having a wheel off the ground. The spider gears spin freely, and nothing else moves.

Matt {peace}

1 - 8 of 8 Posts