Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I figured a topic this goofy didn't belong in Vehicle Help. :) )

We've had enough ice and snow on the roads that the four wheel drive in my truck has been getting a lot of use. (In fact right now there are snow flakes the size of tea saucers falling from the sky - which would be why I'm sitting here writing this instead of being out in the yard.) Right now is also the darkest time of the year, with the southern parts of the country getting about six hours of sunlight per day, and the northernmost parts getting absolutely no sunlight at all. Consequently, when I need to reach for that 4WD shift stick I usually need to do it in the dark. When the cabin is dark. And the shift stick is all black. You can, perhaps, imagine the problem here?

In my previous truck, several years ago, I tried a small ring of adhesive glow in the dark tape around the stick shaft. Didn't look too bad, but also didn't help at all. Either not enough light gets in the cab or the glow in the dark feature dies out too early.

One option would of course be to buy a tritium capsule key fob and duct tape it to the shift stick... :p But that would look rather ugly. Another option would be to take that capsule out of the key fob and embed it into the shift stick knob itself - but the knob is round, so the straight capsule would need to be buried pretty deep. It would mean either a big hole in the knob, or the tritium would only be visible from a very small angle. Meh.

Does anyone make glow in the dark o-rings that are the size of the emblem on the stick shift knob? But then again, we get into the inefficiencies of glow in the dark stuff...

I suppose there might be a way to run a wire and a LED onto the shift stick knob? But that sounds like it may turn into a bigger project than I was hoping for.

You guys have any great ideas on how to make the shift stick more visible, so I can find it without groping around in the dark?

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Dome light?  I took out the useless map light under the lip of the dash since all it does is illuminate the already illuminated heater controls and it makes it a huge pain to get the instrument panel bezel off.  Not to mention I have never had a truck that didn't have at least one of the map light mounting tabs broken off the dash so it flopped around whenever I tried to turn it on or off anyway.  I put in a dome lamp, wired it up and it's much more useful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love my map light! I'm not sure how useful it is, but it sure is cute and works great for mood lighting when parked. :)

Anyways, as to your suggestion Elwenil, keeping the dome light on all the time would make it miserable to see out of the truck. Probably would be illegal as well in this country (since, hell, what isn't?). I'm not looking to add overall illumination inside the cab (as that would reduce my ability to see the road outside the cab), rather I want to add a visual "marker" for where exactly the 4WD shift stick is.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
I didn't mean to leave it on.  Just turn it one, grab the shifter and then turn it off.  How often do you really need to shift in and out of 4WD anyway? Alternatively, you could use a lighted shift knob, though I doubt you will find a commonly available one with the NP208/NP241 or NP205 shift patterns.  Custom ones can be made, but tend to be expensive compared to the size of the problem.

For me personally, I find I don't really need to see the shifter.  I have the shifter for my 4 speed and the shifter for the NP205 and they are both easy to find by feel, even in the dark.  If this were a Unimog or similar vehicle with 5 or 6 shifters in the floor, I could probably understand the issue, but with a maximum of two shifters, I can't honestly understand why it's a problem.

·
Administrator
62,301 Posts
Just get a small LED stick on light, and stick it to the front of the heater box. High enough, so you do not see the light, but where it will back light the floor. And hook it into the marker lights, so it comes on with the head lights. Will likely have to experiment with different sizes, and colors to get one that will work for you.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
only allow good "friends" whom you don't mine grabbing their knee to ride shotgun ? use muscle memory to locate stick .  practice in the daylight .... 

·
Registered
801 Posts
I wonder if they make glow in the dark paint that is white and you could just paint over the existing shifter knob paint with a fine brush?  It would look stock during the day and glow in the night.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Get Trtium that they use for gun sights, and paint the letters/numbers on the shift knob. Or, wrap a piece of glow-in-the-dark tape on the knob. I have a telescope mount/tripod that has that tape on the rubber feet, to help keep one from tripping over the legs while viewing the skies at night.

·
Registered
1988 Ramcharger W150, 318, 4-speed; 2008 Sebring Convertible; 2015 Challenger Shaker SCATPack 392 A8
92 Posts
I just changed the shift knobs in my truck out for white ones off of EPay, there is usually enough ambient light to see the shifters.  There is a glow in the dark clear spray that you can use over white and it makes it glow for a good while. 

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Its just muscle memory.Once you know where everything is you dont need to see it.I can put my dodges into 4hi at 60 mph just by flicking my wrist,and the dakota's 4wd lever is tucked under the dash.

·
Registered
649 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.