Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the axle/springs/and assorted other parts mountable from a 4WD chassis to a 2WD chassis? I realize it’s labor intensive. Just wondering if the mounting points are there (same frame)?
My ’83 4WD was totaled (badly bent frame, running gear untouched) I was the original owner. Took me and my bike to Sturgis in 2015.
I have the opportunity to get an ’85 in near pristine but non running condition 2WD.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
The frame is basically the same, but all the 2WD suspension brackets, engine crossmember and the front crossmember must be removed and replaced with the 4WD versions.  You will need to locate and cut the holes in the frame for the rear leaf spring shackle mounts.  It's a lot of work, but it can be done.

·
Administrator
62,311 Posts
A lot of work is an understatement. Just removing the 2wd stuff is like 50 rivets that need to be drilled, or cut. The the front cross member still needs to be cut up to get it out. Then its about 30 or so holes you need to locate, and drill for the front cross member, the tranny cross member, The front spring mounts, The sway bar, ect.

You will need to locate and cut the holes in the frame for the rear leaf spring shackle mounts.
To clarify, its the rear shackle mounts, for the front springs.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
agreed , and 1 tip , don't redrill all the holes for the crossmsmber in the chassis , redrill the crossmember where needed ....( for the right width ) I have one th previous owner redrilled the chassis , right to the corner , which weakens it substantially . A bad No No . 

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.