Dodge RamCharger Central banner

4WD in 88 RC is whiny

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  AJ 
#1 ·
I got my 88 RC, 4x4..when I shift into 4wd, its a low moan or whiny as I accelerate. I have greased the front u joint driveshaft, there is fluid everywhere...any suggestions?

Also, what would cause my 4x4 to not shift back into 2wd..except if i go backwards??? I know its something to do with the shift motor or vacuum...maybe a leak? Anything else i should look into?

Thanks!
Adam

#3 ·
Its a new noise...i have a regular stick 4x4 shifter...
2H down to 4H, over Neutral and down to 4L.
Maybe it hasnt been used in a while..thats why..hmmmm

AJ

#4 ·
Will it not go into 2WD with the trans in neutral? Mine would never want to go back into 2WD , sometimes I would just cut the truck off and it will go right back into 2-Hi. You have to shift it pretty fast to keep it from wanting to grind, it also matters which way you push on the lever when you are shifting it. I changed my truck over to a manual and now I never have a problem with it not wanting to go back into 2-Hi, it just slides right in.

#6 ·
Are you on dry pavement?If so this is normal.Don't do it!!It's called driveline windup.The front tires turn at a different rate than the rears, thus binding the driveline.Another cause could be different sized tires on either axle or even left to right.This binding also happens in dirt/snow if you do a lot of wheelspin/tight turns.Check your fluids as well.Whining can be low fluid too.What kind of lockout hubs(if any) do you have?They could be sticking if they are AUTO hubs.Besides all that,the truck should see some mileage with the hubs engaged now and then to keep them lubed,thus a possible cause for your problem as well. CHECK THE FLUIDS!!!

RON

#7 ·
It is better to shift your case when you are stopped. I don't like putting any wear on parts that doesn't absolutely have to occur. I auto hubs unlock in reverse maybe it doesn't want to come out of 4WD moving forward cause the auto hubs are still holding some amount of pressure on the t-case.

#8 ·
I noticed it in the winter, but i tried it again on dry pavement for like 10 feet. I check my TC fluid..right to where it should be. The diff fluid was alittle low, but nothing drastic. Thanks for the info ...

AJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.