Dodge RamCharger Central banner

4bll swap

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  uqu3t5C0r73MgA 
#1 ·
I have a holley 4bll and intake on my powerwagon and want to swap it to my trailduster.

Is this an easy unbolt and rebolt or is there a lot of things that need to change.

I hope it is a matter of unbolting it getting a new gasket and hooking it up.

any problems to watch out for

#5 ·
yeah 318 to 318.....all i need to do is mark and remove the distributor, remove any linkages to the pedal, remove the intake bolts, buy a new gasket for both, and then re install. No catchs anywhere.

#7 ·
well that just made this a whole lot easier. guess that will happen before i start the tear down.....maybe one last ride with the top off.....

#9 ·
ramchargerrunner360 said:
yeah you do have to remove the distributor because its sits in the manifold
well seeing as how this is a dodge la small block motor and not a chebby motor, it does not set in the manifold, it sets behind the manifold and manifold has a half circle cut out that forms around base of distributor.

you do not, i repeat do not have to pull distributor to take off a small block manifold

eric

#10 ·
distributor is not part of the intake, it is seperate, you can change the manifold without pulling the distributor. as a matter of fact, you can change a 340 intake to a 318 or 30. works rather well i do say!

#11 ·
ramchargerrunner360 said:
if its 318 to 360 its fine or 318 to 318 or 360 to 360 its fin just not 318-360 to 400 or 340 or 440
also on this, a 318/360 manifold will fit on a 340 and vice versa

can swap small bloc kt osmall block, just not small block to big block, also if going from a bb to an rb will not work

eric

#12 ·
ok just to make this real easy here.

drain coolant, disconnect thermostat to radiator hose, remove manifold to block hose, disconnect temperature sensor, disconnect fuel line from carburetor, dont have to disconnect alternator wires but it might make job easier to have wires out of the way.

remove at least one valve cover or manifold will hit on cover usually. disconnect throttle cable from carburetor, disconnect transmission kickdown from carburetor, if oyu ahve an older rc/td or truck wiot hcruise, remove cruise control cable from carburetor, remove brake booster vacuum hose, disconnect pcv hose, disconnect vacuum advance line from carburetor, disconnect coil, disconnect throttle return spring

this should be everything off of the manifold that needs disconnected.

if it is a dual plane manifold it will be easier to get the 4 center bolts with carb off of manifold, if not then leave carb on if oyu want.

take out 12 manifold bolts, being careful not to lose the throttle cable bracket and the return spring bracket.

using a small prybar or screwdriver, lift up one side of manifold to break it loose, lift off manifold, clean it up, install new gaskets on engine, place manifold on engine, starting at center of manifold and working your way out, alternating from front to back and side to side, tighten bolts to 35 lb/ft

reconnect everything, fill with coolant, start truck and enjoy

any further questions please feel free to ask

eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.