Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  Thinking about swapping out my gas guzzling quadrajet for a smaller two barrel. Will this help with fuel mileage? Currently at 9 mpg. I once had an 84 with 318 2bbl auto 4x4, and got about 14-15 mpg. But now I have an 86 with a 360 4bbl auto 4x4. Any thought guys.
  Thanks in advance

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
the Q-jet front barrels are actually smaller than most two barrel carbs and should get better gas mileage  , have you done the Q-jet well plug repair , there are removable plugs in the bottom of a Q-jet that after time LEAK gas all the time , there is a KIT to fix the problem , l,ll look for the write up on here and post it if l can find it

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
agreed fix the carb , then keep your foot out of the secondaries .

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. I can do that. Any combos that work to get a bigger "bang"? Cool? Wires? Cap? Plugs? Ecm?

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
CBR 285 Q-JET WELL PLUG KIT 1960 1987 napa napa if your q-jet leaks gas then your well plugs leak and this kit will fix it DODGEBOYS

found the part number in the data base , cant find the write up

·
Registered
649 Posts
While you are fixing the carb, disconnect the linage to the secondaries.  Turn it into a full-time two barrel carb.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Quadrajets are notorious for horrible mileage. My dad's 75 Chevy 4x4 (3.73 gears)350/TH350/203 had one from the factory. He bought the truck brand new & never got better than 8-10 mpg. He switched to one of the Holley Economaster series & mileage jumped up to 14, still not great but a pretty good increase percentage wise.

My 85 Olds 307 had one, same deal, 10 mpg.

My Uncle's 85 Ram 350 dually (360) also only got able 8-9 mpg, but his had 4.10 rear.

In theory Q-jets should do better, at least when tuned right. Many people swear by them. And the ones I've been around run like a scalded ass.

But IMO they are not a mileage carb. Dropping the secondaries would be of more cost effective benefit than going to the expense of switching to a 2bl manifold/carb.

Bucky

·
Registered
649 Posts
The Holley Economaster was a line of carbs made by Holley, not a specific model.  You are probably referring to the Holley 4360 which was a 450 CFM bolt-on replacement for the Quadrajet and other spread bore carbs.  It has a center hung float bowl and shares much of its design with the Webers Holley was licensing in the 70s (Holley/Motorcraft 5200).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.