Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in the middle of a 4bt project for quite some time. I'm using a 47rh. One issue I've been looking at is controlling the lockup and overdrive. Pressure switches are the way to go for me. I've heard a complaint of OD/LU kicking on and off with rapidity.  Still using the pressure switch, I've thought about putting in a relay between the pressure switch and the LU/OD switch with a small capacitor to hold the relay for a couple seconds to allow for those marginal speeds. I'd still wire in a manual override to turn either off, but to avoid the on/off rapidity. I've also considered using an arduino where I could create more complex functions such as not disengaging the LU/OD unless both the pressure switch is off and the brake is depressed or more than 5 seconds have passed.

Has anyone ventured down that road?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I´d think that if you´re considering using an Arduino board for simple logic like that, that it wouldn´t be much of a problem/challenge for you to figure out how to control the lockup and overdrive. I personally have never gone into programming anything like that, but I understand the concept, and have friends who enjoy tinkering electronically like that, so I let them do that. As you already said, the hardest part will simply be to keep the logic high (or low, as required) for whatever given time period so as to keep the solenoids from hunting. I would imagine a simple counter would suffice, and would be relatively easy to implement. You should definitely try it and let us know how it turns out. 

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm certainly no expert but arduino's are pretty simple so they're easy to interact with for laymen like me :D

I guess maybe a better question would be in what manner would those with 47rh experience like to have the transmission controlled?

·
Premium Member
13,383 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice! I remember you mentioning that. It's a shame it takes two of them. Were there any other controllers you had looked at?

On the B&M's, as soon as your drop to 49, does it drop you out of overdrive or does it have a delay? Same for LU?

·
Premium Member
13,383 Posts
no as soon as you reach the speed it's dialed in for it will trigger the controller, up or down.  It's working perfectly in Homer's truck, regardless of throttle or load, and it's all got a override switch to delay the OD engagement in case you want to really get up to speed, and then enable the override switch and then the OD (and LU if at that speed) will engage.  It's pretty sweet, and works great {cool}.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In regards to the speedometer cable, are these 1000 revolutions per mile?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Evening all.....running a 47RH behind a 4BT.....hooked up the OD and Lockup to toggle switches....12v to center wire....go to ground on the OD & LU wires with 2 separate toggles...1'st test drive today and here's the issue....hit the OD switch at 50 mph and it worked great...hit the LU switch at 55 mph and it worked as well EXCEPT...when I engage the LU it disengages the OD???....Hmmmm....any thoughts ??  Please advise....MIkeT

·
Registered
13,189 Posts
if both coils are getting powered up and respective ground signals, then its not the switches . there is also a switch for the kick down that works mechanically ( not vacume) off the throttle rod/cable listed by transmissioncenter.net under 518 conversion parts . Just adding possibility's . 

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the insight guys......wanting to stay old school on the OD/LU controls to save a few $$$ and I'm a "want to control" everything kind of guy.....solenoid(s) do seem to be working OK as both initiate their specific functions independently....a tranny shop suggested replacing it to be sure it doesn't have a short or something when both solenoids activated simultaneously....sounds like a reach but probably on the "to-do" list if I can't sort things out.....maybe it is the throttle position cable to the valve body ?....next step unhook it and see what happens before I drop the pan and replace the solenoid....T

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mornin...the fix was the grounds.....ran 12 gauge from each toggle directly to the tranny chassis....now works well.....Note to Self; be generous when grounding the solenoid......T

·
Premium Member
13,383 Posts
good deal - glad it was something simple {cool}

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm using the compushift.com Mini to control the Lock/up n OD on my Crew and so far so good .took it down the road but have to fine tune some thing's first .But Once set it does lock up and od for you as you drive and you don't have to worry about not flipping a switch at a set time .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts