Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon everyone.  I own a 91 dodge ramcharger with the 5.9l v8 4wd model.

I have had roughly about a yr and was mostly a weekened toy but now has ended up beging a daily driver. 

Just recently it threw a code 37 ( torque converter clutch soleniod). This was after it would stall out after coming to a stop.  I did some digging and decided to drop the transmission pan.

Took down the valve body and removed the shift solenoid.  Took it and valve body to local transmissions shop to find out that code 37 is not found on the 91 models with 46re transmission.  ( no transmission lockout)

Re installed eveything, new fluids truck wont shift.  Park rev neutral drive fine. But wont shift gears past 1st.

I ordered a new shift solenoid. 

Anyone encounter a problem like this.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
'91 models are not found with a 46RE transmission.  What you have is a 46RH, which is very similar but very different on the control side of things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the valve that goes in an out that rooster comb controls were to be disconnected ( ie not seated in the right spot ) would that cause a non fear change while in drive.?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
the rooster comb ( good description !) IS the detents for the gear selection . IGNORING the stupid thing on dash board , does it have P R N D 1 2 ? and want to GO in the selected direction ?  it just don't up shift ? what if you select 1 then 2 then d ? 
there is a cable that tells the trans where the throttle is , ( floored or whatever ) that cable operates a "spool" in the valve body , if its set so the trans thinks its floored , it won't shift .BUT if you had a "stall" when comming to a stop condition , then I'd guess its a valve body sticking , allowing oil to keep the torque converter clutch in lock when it should be . the plug for the coils ( I assume you have 2 in the trans ? ) has 3 wires , the center wire is HOT all the time 2 outer wires get a ground signal from the computer , unplug the vertical 3 wire plug ( NOT the back up neutral safety switch horizontal plug) , and try the shift , you will NOT get o.d. or lock up , but should run 123 up .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dodge82273 said:
the rooster comb ( good description !) IS the detents for the gear selection . IGNORING the stupid thing on dash board , does it have P R N D 1 2 ? and want to GO in the selected direction ? it just don't up shift ? what if you select 1 then 2 then d ?
there is a cable that tells the trans where the throttle is , ( floored or whatever ) that cable operates a "spool" in the valve body , if its set so the trans thinks its floored , it won't shift .BUT if you had a "stall" when comming to a stop condition , then I'd guess its a valve body sticking , allowing oil to keep the torque converter clutch in lock when it should be . the plug for the coils ( I assume you have 2 in the trans ? ) has 3 wires , the center wire is HOT all the time 2 outer wires get a ground signal from the computer , unplug the vertical 3 wire plug ( NOT the back up neutral safety switch horizontal plug) , and try the shift , you will NOT get o.d. or lock up , but should run 123 up .
Yes it has all the functions of the dash selections. P/n/d/1/2.

Even in 1/2 I don't feel any change.

So yesterday when I removed the pan the solenoid that was in there is a single solenoid with 2 wires ( red and black. )
The plunger that the rooster comb allows to in and out I become unseated ( basically its not going in and out )

Now I seen and understand what and where the kickdown linkage is . At full throttle this thing is as far back as possible.
Wish I could post pics . But I'm removing pan again today and confirm plunger rooster comb ie connected. .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found the issue and fixed. It was a simple fix . I forgot tighten the 4 bolts on the passenger side of the vavle body ( the side with the big spring and plastic plunger ) re installed replaced fluid . Good to go.

Now the issue is when I put it in reverse it stutters sometimes then catches itself if i up rpms if not it sometimes dies. 

But I no longer dies at stops or under hard braking . 

Thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
pull codes , switch key on off on off on  count flashes of dash lights , should be LIKE flash pause flash flash longer pause 5 flashes short pause 5 more flashes =  12    and  55 ......  12 battery disconnected , 55 end of codes as an example .....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Soooo I found the issue by shear luck. There is a little diaphragm that comes off the carb thaty sits right next to the valve cover on the driver side on top of the intake manifold. I think its plastic but has a vacuum line on it running to another diaphragm.  Weird but ok I can only assume something wiggled that thing loose when I pulled a vehicle out last week.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
one solenoid , so a 518 46rh with out a lock up converter ,a 2 wire connector .  good you found the 2 problems , thank you for letting us know  ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.