Dodge RamCharger Central banner

46RE Tranny Problems,(UPDATE!, post root cause analysis)

30K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Slanted_Mind 
#1 ·
Well I guess it's my turn, all this talk of newer tranny problems and I had got 75,000 out of mine, I was starting to think its because people weren't treating them right. WRONG!
Here's my story:
This is a 2000, 1500 with a 360 and 46RE. It came from the factory with a tranny cooler and 3.92 gears. It has recieved regular tranny service, i.e: fluid/filter changes (ATF+4) and band adjustments. I used to tow my buggy (maybe 4000lbs total) with it a few years ago, but haven't towed it for the last year and a half since I got a motorhome. It is basically a commuter truck now.
Today, I was leaving the house headed for town, which is about a 2500 ft. drop in elevation (i.e. all downhill) and it was about 30 deg. out. I went my brothers house, then left and went to get gas and a carwash.
As I was pulling out of the auto carwash, my TRANS TEMP light came on, then off, then on again. Then I pulled onto the road and it wouldn't shift from 2nd to 3rd. I pulled over and now my check engine light is on. I checked the dip stick but the fluid didn't seem hot at all. I start to drive again and now it won't get out of 1st.
This whole time my TRANS TEMP light comes on and off again. The more I drove it, the longer the light stayed on. So I stopped and got a tow to my brothers house.
I pulled the codes and got:
0713 -Trans Temp Sensor Voltage Too High
1757-GOV Press Sensor Not Equal to Target @ 15-20 PSI
1757(M)- Govenor Pressure Above 3 PSI In Gear With 0 MPH
1763-Govenor Pressure Sensor Volts Too High

Anybody have a clue what I should look into, or is this gonna be a tranny shop/dealer deal?

See less See more
#2 ·
First thing I think I would do is to check all the electrcial connectors on the tranny and the harness that goes to them. Sounds like you may be in some sort of "limp mode" until you clear the tranny problem. I have some info from Alldatadiy for a 2001 that might help if you want me to try and send it your way?

SYMPTOM
P0713-TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO HIGH

WHEN MONITORED
Continuously with the key ON and the engine running.

SET CONDITION
This code will set if the Transmission Temperature Sensor Signal circuit voltage goes above 3.76 volts for 2.2 seconds .

POSSIBLE CAUSES

Trans temperature sensor signal circuit shorted to voltage
Trans temperature sensor signal circuit shorted to 5 volt supply circuit
Intermittent transmission temperature sensor
Trans temperature sensor signal circuit open
5 volt supply circuit open
Sensor ground circuit open
Trans temperature sensor signal circuit shorted to voltage inside trans
Trans temperature sensor signal circuit shorted to 5 volt supply circuit inside trans
Trans temperature sensor signal circuit open inside trans
5 volt supply circuit open inside trans
Sensor ground circuit open inside trans
Transmission temperature sensor
PCM - Transmission temperature sensor

SYMPTOM
P1757-GOVERNOR PRESSURE ABOVE 3 PSI IN GEAR WITH 0 MPH

WHEN MONITORED
Continuously with the key ON and engine running.

SET CONDITION
This code will set if the Governor Press Sensor output is > 21 KPa (3 PSI) when requested pressure is 0 KPa (0 PSI) with Governor Press Solenoid Duty cycle at 95 % for 2.65 seconds . Two trips of two consecutive bad 2.65 second tests are required to set the code.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

Other transmission DTC'S
Intermittent governor pressure solenoid
Check trans fluid level and condition
Governor pressureure sensor signal circuit open
Governor pressure sensor ground circuit open
Governor pressure sensor signal circuit short to ground
Governor pressure sensor signal circuit short to sensor ground
Governor pressure Sensor signal circuit short to voltage
5 volt supply circuit open inside trans
Governor pressure sensor ground circuit open inside trans
Governor pressure sensor signal circuit open inside trans
Governor pressure sensor signal circuit short to ground inside trans
Governor pressure Sensor signal circuit short to sensor ground inside trans
Governor pressure sensor signal circuit short to voltage inside trans
Oil burnt or oil pan has excessive debris
Valve Body
Governor pressure sensor
Internal transmission
PCM - 5 volt supply
PCM - Governor pressureure not equal to target

SYMPTOM
P1763-GOVERNOR PRESSURE SENSOR VOLTS TOO HIGH

WHEN MONITORED
Continuously with the key ON and the engine running.

SET CONDITION
This code will set when the voltage from the governor pressure sensor is above 4.89 volts for 8.5 seconds .

POSSIBLE CAUSES

Other transmission DTC'S present
Park Neutral DTC present
Transmission Fluid Level and condition
Intermittent Problem
Governor pressure sensor signal circuit open
Governor pressure sensor ground Circuit Open
Governor pressure sensor signal circuit short to voltage
5 volt Supply Circuit open inside trans
Governor pressure sensor signal circuit open inside trans
Governor pressure sensor ground circuit open inside trans
Governor pressure sensor signal circuit short to voltage inside trans
Governor Pressure Sensor (high)
Powertrain Control Module

#3 ·
Thanks for all the info Chump!
I'm wondering if the carwash could have gotten some connectors wet and is causing them short. I did get the under carriage spraywash. Hope its that easy, but I won't hold my breathe.

#4 ·
Bummer Kendall. I finally rebuilt the 46RE in my '99 last week, well I didn't rebuild it. I had Keller Transmission in Logan rebuild mine with a Trans Go "Tow n Go" HD shift kit. Plus, on top of the standard rebuild my Gov pressure tranducer and solenoid were plugged and had to be replaced ($200 more I think), grand total was only about $1650, then I sold the truck to my mom, never even drove it.

An interesting point was he found that the factory had actually assembled the front drum wrong and had a plate and a clutch reversed. The TC lock-up clutch had failed, plugged the gov. solenoid, and reduced internal pressure aiding the already weak front drum clutch pack to just eat it's self. Of course I did drive it for about 17-18 months after it started acting up.

Sorry, I don't have a clue on yours.

If your gov soleniod is plugged, I found this link a while back that details cleaning it.
http://dunriteconverters.com/faqs.shtml

I believe that DC's official opnion is that once clogged, they must be replaced and if they are opened to be cleaned, the calibration will be screwed up. However, I've heard of people cleaning them w/o any problems.

#5 ·
Thats a very common problem with that tranny. The trans has gone into limp in mode so it's stuck in 2nd gear. What you are probably going to have to do if the problem doesnt clear up when the connector dries out is replace the gov. solonoid and possibly the trans temp sender. they are both easy to get to once you drop the tranny pan. Before I did that tho, I would dry the connector out and clear the codes and drive it.

#6 ·
Well, I'm 99% sure I figured it out. Apparrantly, it was a combination of a bad connector and the carwash, which seems logical since it happened after the carwash but the fluid wasn't hot. I was also told that if the computer gets a high temp signal, it won't shift out of first.
Today, I went to my brothers to check it out. I started it and took it for a spin. It worked perfectly and I didn't get any High Temp warnings. I then started to check connectors.
There is one that the FSM calls "solenoid case connector" which is mounted above and to the rear of the park/neutral switch connector and it points up. The connection was very loose. I pulled it off and got a look at it, and the damn thing is broke. The connector that is mounted to the trans is the side that "locks" the connectors together, and that broke off completely, so there is nothing holding the two halves together.
Sooooo, its good that my tranny isn't shot but, the only way to replace that connector is to remove the valve body and change it from the inside.:mad:.
As a temporary fix, I just cleaned it up and put some dielectric grease on it so hopefully water can't get in there.
Could have been worse!
Thanks for the help!

#7 ·
All right, glad you got it fixed. {cool}

#8 ·
Just a follow up.
I replaced the connector/solenoid harness a week and a half ago and I think I have the root of the problem figured out. I believe it was caused by me getting brake cleaner on the connector when I was trying to clean up the band adjuster screw to adjust the bands a few months ago.
After I pulled the connector out, as you can see in the photo, it was broke in several places, it was actually more like shattered than broke. It was even broke down inside. Then it hit me, I read a TSB a while back about using brake cleaner on electrical connections and that it would dissolve them, well, it must be true, I can't think of any other way that connector could have been so brittle.
That's KThaxton's PSA for the day.....DON'T USE BRAKE CLEANER ANYWHERE NEAR CONNECTIONS!

Attachments

#9 ·
Yup, learned this the hard way myself a few years back. Glad you figured out the problem.

KThaxton said:
Just a follow up.
I replaced the connector/solenoid harness a week and a half ago and I think I have the root of the problem figured out. I believe it was caused by me getting brake cleaner on the connector when I was trying to clean up the band adjuster screw to adjust the bands a few months ago.
After I pulled the connector out, as you can see in the photo, it was broke in several places, it was actually more like shattered than broke. It was even broke down inside. Then it hit me, I read a TSB a while back about using brake cleaner on electrical connections and that it would dissolve them, well, it must be true, I can't think of any other way that connector could have been so brittle.
That's KThaxton's PSA for the day.....DON'T USE BRAKE CLEANER ANYWHERE NEAR CONNECTIONS!

#10 ·
Glad you got it fixed. ;D If ever in doubt about spraying an electrical connector use an electrical contact cleaner that is Freon type based.

TSB 08-11-94
Use of Brake Parts Cleaner on Electrical Connectors

Date: Feb. 24, 1994
MODELS: 1989- 1993 (AD) Ram Pickup/Ramcharger, 1994 (BR) Ram Pickup

NOTE: All 1989-1994 Dodge/Chrysler models are included in this bulletin. This could easily apply to more recent models as well.

DISCUSSION:

Some technicians have used Mopar Brake Parts Cleaner for cleaning electrical connectors. This was all right when only one brake parts cleaner was available from Mopar. Currently Mopar offers two different types of brake parts cleaners. DO NOT USE: P/N 4549623 ON ELECTRICAL CONNECTORS. It is petroleum based and will dissolve the plastic connector material. When cleaning electrical connectors, only use P/N 4318037 or an equivalent that is 1,1,1 Triclor based as they will not harm the plastic.

Any and all petroleum based chemicals should be prevented from coming in contact with plastic electrical connectors.

Policy: Information Only

#11 ·
Yeah Chump, I usually do use regular contact cleaner on connectors, but this time, I was degreasing the band adjustment screw and that damn gravity pulled the brake cleaner down to that connector where it probably puddled up. :mad:

#12 ·
Hmmm--my 2000 360 46RE 4x4 was behaving similarly, except that it decided to drop into first gear at 45 mph and not shift anymore.... The difference is I got NO warning lights (trans temp, check engine, nada) Mine turned out to be the pump went out, consequently frying the torque converter and the rest of the trans. Of course this all happened 3 weeks out of warranty....(and 4 weeks after a dealer service)

Keep an eye on it.

-SM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.