Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 73 D200 with a transplanted 440 in it. I rebuilt the motor and have put approx. 500 miles on it over 9 months. The tailpipes have antifreeze droplets coming out of them. It is not burnt, white, or steam. It is droplets like condensation. The headers have antifreeze "boil" on top of the exhaust ports at the head. I have Heddman headers on it. They were on the truck when I got it. To my knowledge, Heddman does not make a header for my truck. Could this be not sealing and coming out of my exhaust from cheap bolts in water jackets and wrong application? Any help. Thank You.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Most likely the studs/bolts are not sealing and allowing antifreeze to leak from the jackets. You could try pulling them out and then buying new studs/bolts. They are 3/8 coarse thread on the 440. Chase out the threads on the head then use Permatex #1 on the threads of the new studs/bolts. Let them dry for a few hours before you refill with antifreeze. It is possible the threads on the head are completely shot, in which case you might try a helicoil. Without more detail from you this is my .2 cents.

Mac

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think Heddman did make headers for a 440 truck application but maybe they stopped. If you rebuilt the motor, then you know what you sealed the bolts with right? I'm running Hookers on mine - no problem. The headers themselves are not a problem unless they leak exhaust (usually). I would re-seal the bolts as Mac says, and torque them to 20 ft/lbs. If you used Mr. Gasket studs, throw them away and start over. They look cool but will never seal because they don't have the sealing shoulder of a true stud. Also make sure that whatever you put in there is not too long - so as to reach into the water jacket too far. NAPA's replacement studs are a little too long and have to be ground down to fit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts