Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so the truck's getting a 440. I'm gonna get a used one and rebuild it. I've heard the stock manifolds flow just as good as the aftermarket ones. Heads I'll have a valve job done on. Camshaft will probably be the RV cam that I've read about on this site. What I'm wondering is are there any relatively cheap rebuild secrets on the 440 that I don't know about? I'm not going to stroke this engine or anything, but little things I can do before I slap it back together are greatly appreciated!! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
537 Posts
1) Use brass freeze plugs, spend the extra $2 and worry less 3 years down the road. 2) Replace the bronze distributor bushing inside the block. 3) Spend a buck on a GOOD double roller (Cloyes) timing chain, you will not regret it. There are too many double roller chains out there that are made in a rice pady in SE Asia with substandard metals. I know by experience. 4) Ignition systems are paramount. Get a good one. Suggest 4secondsflat.com for info. 5) Here again, spend a little more for Viton valve seals. 6) Use the priming rod before you fire it up to get oil pressure. Your drill will need to be running CCW for the big block. Do lots of research. Moparchat.com is a good place to start.

·
Registered
26 Posts
depends on which 440 ya got. dont raise your compression till you figure out what it is to start with, older heads will already have a high compression ratio; if you're planing on useing pump gas you should'nt go more than 10-1 at the most and thats about where 906 or 915 heads will fall . 452's will already be set up for unleaded fuel but will need to be milled for higher compression and ported to improve flow. buy a mopar perforance engines book, and that will give you all the info you need to make good choices. GOOD LUCK 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts