Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I have a 68 440 that I am going to be putting in my 89 W150 soon and so my questions are as follows. 1) 906 heads on it and not sure if they have the hard seats in them due to the motor was in a 76 Ramcharger and had had some engine work done, I do not want to have to rebuild it if I do not have to I am going to check the compression of each cyl so what's good compression? Also 2) not sure what cam is in it but I want to put a bumpy one in it without giving up too much drivability, suggestions? The motor is spotless under the valve covers so I am hoping to get away with just a clean up and some new gaskets. All advice and help is appreciated

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
906 heads never had hardened seats and would have been a pre '71 era head so those are probably original to the engine so they probably won't have hardened seats. It's possible someone had them machined for them at some point, but in my experience, it's pretty rare.

Compression numbers vary with a lot of factors, but the main thing will be to have them all similar. If you get one or two cylinders that are down 30 or 40 PSI, you most likely have some issues going on.

I'd be careful with the cam. The lopey idle might sound cool but a lot of the time it can hurt drivability a lot and cause issues like "loading up" with a carb when idling at a stoplight. The overlap makes it sound nice but really only helps higher RPM performance and can make driving around town a chore. http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/index.php is who I usually recommend to talk to about cam recommendations.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The factory service manual for my 77 440 gives 100 psi as the minimum compression spec, warm engine, throttle open. Max variation between cylinders is 40 psi. I don't know if it is different for different years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.