Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
I have two oil filter part number and application questions so bear with me here:

1. The NAPA Gold 1085 and the Fram PH16 are both for the same application, do you have any way to tell what application they are supposed to be for? I have a PH16 in my garage and I am 90% certain I got it because it was in the Fram parts books as being usable in the 440(along with the PH43 and the PH8A) but now I can't verify that. I would like to use the 1085 because I believe it to be a better filter than the Fram and it shows up as the same size, spin on thread, and gasket diameter as the Fram. The reason I want to use either of these two is because I have a sandwich filter adapter that is taking up space between the oil pump housing and the idler pulley and either of these two filters will clear the pulley. The filters both spin on the oil pump nipple and the gasket mates up perfectly.

2. Since the 1085 or the PH16 both spin on and fit, will I harm my engine by using this short filter style?

Thanks,
Mac

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
You can use a short filter. But I WOULD use the PH43 (or the Napa equivelant). Back when I was selling parts, we had a customer put a PH16 on a late 60's Barracuda & he said it leaked (383 I think). They are both very similiar though (PH16/PH43)....
Hope this helps

·
7,995 Posts
Contact Fram Customer Service at www.fram.com or you can use their online catalog and cross reference guide. I have never used anything but the PH43 style filter on the 4 STD 440's that I have owned.:)

G

·
I am currently using the STP oil filter equivilent of the Fram PH16 on my 440. It doesn't leak and does a good job filtering the oil. I prefer the STP filters over the Fram, they seem to do a better job. The STP part number is S16.

Chris

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wycowboy: Thanks for the part number, I will check it out!

chump: I will check today in the Fram oil filter application books and see if I can verify that the PH16 is acceptable.

wycowboy said:
I am currently using the STP oil filter equivilent of the Fram PH16 on my 440. It doesn't leak and does a good job filtering the oil. I prefer the STP filters over the Fram, they seem to do a better job. The STP part number is S16.

Chris

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to NAPA this morning and they said the NAPA Gold 1085 will fit almost every Mopar application. It is a shorty.

91PowerRam: Yeah I agree, that is why I was hoping NAPA had a x part that would fit.

Thanks for the help everyone. I hope this info helps someone else who has a space problem around their oil pump housing.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cooter, the PH43 is about 3/4" longer.

Cooter said:
You can use a short filter. But I WOULD use the PH43 (or the Napa equivelant). Back when I was selling parts, we had a customer put a PH16 on a late 60's Barracuda & he said it leaked (383 I think). They are both very similiar though (PH16/PH43)....
Hope this helps

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
OK, then the customer was full of it LOL
Glad you found the filter you needed though :)
...& another vote for "I hate Fram Oil Filters"

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have a friend who works for mother mopar and he heard my truck start and said something about it ticking on startup. Right away he said your runing a fram filter I said yes change it out ticking on start up gone

1 - 14 of 14 Posts