Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In checking at Autozone, I noticed that there are at least three different oil filters of the Fram variety that will fit on my 440, and they are: PH16, PH43, and PH8A. PH16 is the shortest, PH43 the next taller by about a 1/4" , then PH8A is the tallest by a good inch. (I'm looking at the three right now on the floor in my office) Are these filters really interchangeable with no difference or are there differences in filtering or oil flow that I should be aware of? I would imagine the size difference carries over into other brands so this is not really about brands but about the size of the filter vs the filtering capacity. I know that the PH43 was for tight fit spots and the PH8A is the standard size but the PH16 will fit also.

I'm real curious about this if anyone has answers or opinions.
Thanks.
 
G

·
The PH16 size is the "correct" one for almost all mopars. The other two will work equally as well. There is no difference in how well one works over the others though. I prefer the STP brand filters, others prefer Fram. Just go with the one you like best.

Chris
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
7,995 Posts
Well...I have always used the PH43 style of filter. I cannot use the long filter(PH8A) on my 440 due to the extra idler belt being in the way.
Once I get rid of my present filters I'm gonna switch back over to Mopar or NAPA oil filters.

Something off the Web
Fram Oil Filter Info
by Ed at Caribou Imports

A number of Alfa owners use Fram oil filters. The following information on filters that fit Alfas is from Fram's Master Catalog:

Filter Diameter Height Volume Thread Relief valve Anti-drain
no. (in.) (in.) (cu in) size setting (psi) valve?
------ -------- ----- ------- ------- ------------- ------
PH7 4.375 4.172 62.69 3/4"-16 8 to 10 Yes
PH43 3.813 4.000 45.65 3/4"-16 8 to 10 Yes
PH16 3.656 3.688 38.70 3/4"-16 8 to 10 Yes
PH8A 3.625 5.141 53.03 3/4"-16 8 to 10 Yes

According to Fram these filters are identical except for overall dimensions. Fram does claim that the PH8A, PH16 and PH43 are their "Extra Guard Filter" which supposedly has a more effective filter media for trapping dirt particles.

Another Fram filter that fits Alfas is the HP-1. This is a 25 micron filter with (I think) a higher case burst pressure rating. It is physically identical to the PH8A, but is intended for racing. At about $9.00 a pop, it may not be for everyone, but I use one on a race motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
I second what Chump said use the ph43. The ph 8a is very tight with the idler pulley and will go on but removal is a pain. Don't ask me how I know.
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed that the PH8a was real close to that belt so I use the other two as available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems the increased filtering surface area of the longer PH8a is not anything to take into account then, if that is the case anyway?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
7,995 Posts
macario said:
It seems the increased filtering surface area of the longer PH8a is not anything to take into account then, if that is the case anyway?
The longer filter will have more filter area, but I just put on what came installed from the factory..the shorty.:) If I really thought I needed more filter area than I would look into relocating the filter and go to dual filters. Also if the idler belt happens to break while driving it just might be possible that it would take out the longer filter. Just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine filter is remote mounted but I have always used the short filter also but I could use the long one. Great, just wanted to check into reasons for the variation. Thanks!

Chump said:
macario said:
It seems the increased filtering surface area of the longer PH8a is not anything to take into account then, if that is the case anyway?
The longer filter will have more filter area, but I just put on what came installed from the factory..the shorty.:) If I really thought I needed more filter area than I would look into relocating the filter and go to dual filters. Also if the idler belt happens to break while driving it just might be possible that it would take out the longer filter. Just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
macario said:
In checking at Autozone, I noticed that there are at least three different oil filters of the Fram variety that will fit on my 440, and they are: PH16, PH43, and PH8A. PH16 is the shortest, PH43 the next taller by about a 1/4" , then PH8A is the tallest by a good inch. (I'm looking at the three right now on the floor in my office) Are these filters really interchangeable with no difference or are there differences in filtering or oil flow that I should be aware of? I would imagine the size difference carries over into other brands so this is not really about brands but about the size of the filter vs the filtering capacity. I know that the PH43 was for tight fit spots and the PH8A is the standard size but the PH16 will fit also.

I'm real curious about this if anyone has answers or opinions.
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
macario said:
In checking at Autozone, I noticed that there are at least three different oil filters of the Fram variety that will fit on my 440, and they are: PH16, PH43, and PH8A. PH16 is the shortest, PH43 the next taller by about a 1/4" , then PH8A is the tallest by a good inch. (I'm looking at the three right now on the floor in my office) Are these filters really interchangeable with no difference or are there differences in filtering or oil flow that I should be aware of? I would imagine the size difference carries over into other brands so this is not really about brands but about the size of the filter vs the filtering capacity. I know that the PH43 was for tight fit spots and the PH8A is the standard size but the PH16 will fit also.

I'm real curious about this if anyone has answers or opinions.
Thanks.
your best bet is to go to any mopar dealer and by a
P4452890 (black) filter. feel the difference in how much more this filter weighs than the fram.... the black one is heavier because it has a more dense filtering element and catches more dirt..... thats 25plus years of chrysler experience
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,749 Posts
Chysler doesn't make their own filters, if I remember right they come from a few different sources. There's a big atricle that's been posted on here about oil filters. I'm sure someone will add the link to this thread too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,632 Posts
This might sound funny but try a FL-1A Motorcraft. It works good and fits great. Bigger than the small Fram and a much better filter.
 
G

·
Several of you have mentioned the idler pulley belt in this thread. I also have this pulley but I took the belt off because the bearing in the pulley was going bad. Why is this idler there? The belt is not needed to drive something else. My engine runs fine without the belt. Should I get a new idler, still available at Autozone and a belt or just not worry about it?

Chris
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,548 Posts
All Fram filters are junk. The HP series is nothing to brag about. 25 microns is huge considering several manufactures make a 1 micron filter.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
7,995 Posts
Toyradio said:
This might sound funny but try a FL-1A Motorcraft. It works good and fits great. Bigger than the small Fram and a much better filter.
Funny you should mention the FL-1A as I use them on my Mercury. Been hetting them at advance for under $4 each. There is also a high performance version of this.

High-Performance Racing Oil Filter

The FL-1HP combines the unique filtering technology of the Motorcraft® FL-1A with a new canister design for high-performance auto racing. The FL-1HP is a single stage full-flow filter capable of handling the high oil flow rates of today's racing engines. Premium quality filter paper allows the FL-1HP to perform under some of the hottest racing temperatures. The base plate design provides full oil flow under high rev conditions. The heavy duty oil filter canister will withstand burst pressures of up to 400 PSI. The FL-1HP fits Ford, Chrysler and import cars wherever a Motorcraft® FL-1A filter is recommended.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
996 Posts
I use wix or purolater filters on my truck
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top