Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1 i just got a 440 and i don't have the bottom plate to the exhaust manifold that hold the exhaust pipe to the manifold. do i have to find these at a junk yard or would a exhaust shop or auto shop have them.

#2 the 440 has a front sump oil pan on it. I need a rear sump to fit the engine in my truck. can i just turn the oil pan around to make it a rear sump or do i have to buy a new oil pan.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
best deal on the truck oil pan for me was from the dealer.. got the oil pan & pick up tube for about the same price as from summit or jegs.... on the manifolds.. hope ya got the truck ones... but a shop should have the flanges ya need.

·
Registered
96 Posts
#1 I imagine most parts store or exhaust shops would have them but if not they could be made easily if you have the right metal working tools.

#2 The bolt pattern won't match up if you turn the pan around and the dipstick would miss the sump of the pan and you need a different oil pickup tube. Try bouchilionperformance.com . They have the whole kit and more just for dropping a big block in. Plus tips like if your brake booster will interfere with the valvecovers or not.

·
7,995 Posts
#1 i just got a 440 and i don't have the bottom plate to the exhaust manifold that hold the exhaust pipe to the manifold. do i have to find these at a junk yard or would a exhaust shop or auto shop have them.
On the stock exhaust the plates that hold the Y-pipe to the manifolds are part of the Y-pipe and are welded to it.

#2 the 440 has a front sump oil pan on it. I need a rear sump to fit the engine in my truck. can i just turn the oil pan around to make it a rear sump or do i have to buy a new oil pan.
As mentioned you might be better getting the rear sump pan kit from Mopar P5249064 383/400/440 rear sump, 6 Qt. You get the pan, oil pump pick up and screen, dip stick and tube with drain plug* Probably the web will provide you a better price than your local dealer?

·
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the engine i got is out of a 1979 RV not a car. It has the truck manifolds. Chump is there some were i can buy the plates on the pipe and weld it up or do i have to go to a exahaust shop. i found a stock pan for $39, should i get the 6 quart for $79. is it worth the extra quart.

·
7,995 Posts
ProjectM880 said:
the engine i got is out of a 1979 RV not a car. It has the truck manifolds. Chump is there some were i can buy the plates on the pipe and weld it up or do i have to go to a exahaust shop. i found a stock pan for $39, should i get the 6 quart for $79. is it worth the extra quart.
I would have an exhaust shop help you out on the flanges. I know the truck manifolds were center dump where the exhaust pipe comes straight down from the center of head/exhaust manifold...some of the motor homes were rear dump which came out the rear of the manifold. I figured you must have gotten the engine out of an RV as they are the only ones that have the front sump. Cars usually used a center sump. The story on the pan is you will have to change the pickup screen and tube so I would go for the 6qt kit from mopar. Could try www.tenaflyjeepmoparparts.com for a price on the kit. It includes all the parts necessary for the changeover.

·
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chump you posted this picture in another post

this is the same manifolds i have on both sides of my 440. except one has a butterfly valve in it. Well at least mine are center sump im not sure if there the exact ones. but look the same

·
7,995 Posts
ProjectM880 said:
Chump you posted this picture in another post

this is the same manifolds i have on both sides of my 440. except one has a butterfly valve in it. Well at least mine are center sump im not sure if there the exact ones. but look the same
Yes, I have the same center dumps on mine and the R/H manifold has a heat riser/butterfly valve in it. The exhaust y-pipe that hooks to it has a flat flange welded to it and a flat gasket is used to seal the joint. The bolts are 7/16" x 14 and I believe they are 1 7/8" long?

·
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How bad is it too run strait manifolds? Could i run strait manifolds if i was geting the engine started and set up? Or could i also drive around my ranch if i wanted to?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
ProjectM880 said:
How bad is it too run strait manifolds? Could i run strait manifolds if i was geting the engine started and set up? Or could i also drive around my ranch if i wanted to?don't scare the cows with the open manifolds.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
ProjectM880 said:
How bad is it too run strait manifolds? Could i run strait manifolds if i was geting the engine started and set up? Or could i also drive around my ranch if i wanted to?
Open manifolds are not a good thing,for just gettin the motor up and running it would be fine but don't rev it up or play with it alot. It'll hurt the valves if run like that for good while

Just my $.02

Jimmy

·
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On another note im putting this 440 in my 1977 w200 and i was told and read on this web site that i would have to replace the brake booster or get a body lift to clear the booster. I thought these trucks came with big blocks, is the 440 deck height really too much. So there is no other way to solve this problem, just smaller booster or body lift. Because i don't really like body lift and the smaller brake booster is too expensive for me right now.

·
7,995 Posts
This is what your stock 440 exhaust setup looks like. I dont believe the stock Y-pipe is still available from an auto parts store...you'll need to go to an exhaust shop and have it made or ask them for a qoute on installing some sort of dual exhaust setup or you might consider headers. You could also have the exhaust parts made be an exhaust reproduction shop listed in Hemmings Motor News, their prices are very close to the auto parts sores for some vehicles. You could also visit Mr Peals business at http://promuffler.com he's a very knowledgable memeber of RCC. ;D

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I put a 440 in my 82 Ramcharger and didn't have to do anything to the brake booster... if you have stock valve covers.. it shouldn't be much of a problem...

·
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks chump that picture will help. I have dual exhaust on the truck right now and im going to try and use it and a adapt it to the 440.
Taz_man440- Cool i have stock valve covers on my 440 so I will try and see if it fits. If it doesn't then ill do a body lift.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts