Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to rebuild the BB ,hopefully spingtime or this winter. I 'm trying to figure out what works best.
I have 452 heads - stock slugs - probably a stock cam.
Any ideas on what works best for trucks ?
pistons - comp ratios - cam etc --
looking for good torque and decent driveability also

·
5,657 Posts
I would go for a RV cam for low end torque. 8.5-9.0 compression that way you can run fine on pump gas and regular. Other than that , that would make a really reliable engine with decent low end power.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Man, What pistons are best for the bb i've read different ones - ross, keith black etc.

·
5,657 Posts
67MIke said:
thanks Man, What pistons are best for the bb i've read different ones - ross, keith black etc.
Ive heard really good things about Keith black, and have had some friends use them.One friend had them in his chevy 350 and he is really hard on the truck and engine, and they have held up for a while now. But i have never used them.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
take a look at summit's re-build kit. (includes choices of pistons). all quality parts and hard to beat for the $$$. if you go deeper, such as bored oversize, have the rotating assy balanced -- crank turned and polished -- rods resized -- heads reworked w/steel seats and bronze guides. i used the kit w/9.3 forged pistons and have been completely satisfied after 9k miles. i agree with an rv cam or use mp purple,(is what i used). good luck --sheriff--

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
TheRamChargerMan said:
the only drawback to the MP cams, they don't generate a lot of vacuum for the lift.
true mp radical cams don't make a lot of vac. i used the mp re-issue of the 440 magnum cam and my engine has 18-20 in vac, checked using 2 diff guages. megasquirt program also says it is 20" at idle. --sheriff--

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is all my opinion and experience

PISTONS
I am partial to TRW forged pistons. They are the same ones that come in the summit rebuild kit. The new coating on them reduces friction and helps HP numbers. For pump gas I would not recomend over 10.2:1 compression for a big block. Although for wheeling if you change climit and get up where the air changes and your A/F ratio will change you would be safer going with a 9.8:1 compression ratio. I tend to stay away for KB pistons because if you get any detonation they like to break into a ton of pieces. (typicly nitrous applications)

HEADS

You can build some nice power with the 452 if you have some time try to atleast clean up the exhaust side of things and smooth out all the rough edges. If you want more power at your local machine shop you can have them hogged out for larger valves for around $100. (if you plan on replacing valves)

CAMS

In a truck application I would probably take a look at comp cams. Get a cam book and go through the numbers. Mabye play around with desktop dyno. Though I would not go huge duration. You might be able to get away with a hugh's cam with smaller duration and alot of lift.

Not truck related I built a budget 440 for my challenger. Cast crank and rods. TRW pistons 452 heads larger valves and a M1 intake and MP292cam. With an older torque converter that im sure is not very efficant she put down 383HP and 400FT LBS at the wheels.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
My engine builder likes a split-duration cam for a truck/offroad application. Most of the cams on the market are geared towards car use...ie racing. You don't need a huge lumpy cam to make power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts