Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm rebuilding a 440. I took it to a machine shop to get cleaned up, it's been sitting for a while and had a little rust in the bores. They tell me it's already been bored 30 over and will need to be bore 40 over to clean up the rust. My question is how far can a 440 me bored before you start running into problems?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
megatrek, there are basically two different limitations on 440 overbore. (1) early, pre thinwall castings about (66-75) timeframe can be overbored up to .060. socalled thinwall castings, 75 and later should be limited to .040. --sheriff--

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
40 is fine nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
try to see if the machine shop can "sonic check" in some instances the later 76 era "thin wall casting" blocks have actually proved to be meatier than orginal 66 and 67 era blocks. you can never tell as it seems to be very inconsistant.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Mines at .060 with no problems yet.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
megatrek said:
Thanks, for the info. Now.. who makes a good set of pistons.
i used the summit kit. it has top quality parts for a complete rebuild. trw/speedpro (moly coated)(forged) pistons avail in different c/r's. hv oil pump, dbl roller timing set, bngs, freeze plugs, rings, gasket set. i used mp performance cam and lifter set. all quality parts. i was amazed at the close match in size and weight of the pistons. i had the crank turned 10/10, polished and a complete rotating assy balance done. i also had the heads (906) re built w/bronze gds, hardened seats and .005 surface to insure heads were straighe. turns out a really smooth engine. hard to beat for the money. --sheriff--

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
The pistons really depend on the motor buildup. Mild or wild?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts