Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was goin through the local classifieds and it seems 413's are more common than 440's. i'm lookin to go big block, u know, big truck/big block. just makes sense to me.

problem is, i don't hear u guys talkin about it at all. is it bad? can it be made into a 440? does it have any touque? "i'd sell my soul for another 15 ft/lbs of torque"

info is good... ;)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
actually, 413's were used plentifully in the heavy trucks, like the C series, along with the 361. they are good engines just like any big block, it's just you don't hear much of them because they never came in any of our rigs from the factory. just 60's cars, a few lucky 60's trucks, and the semi's. there are parts out there for them, and use the same parts as a 440, they just have a smaller bore, 4.190" to be exact. if torque is what you want, they will have what you want.

·
Premium Member
26,084 Posts
you would need a newer set of heads because they won't have hardened seats, that's it otherwise same motor except for the earlier mention from dodgeguy

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so if i get one out of a mid 70's truck, i will need a new set of heads? will any bb heads work? or are they specific? will a 440 crank and overboring turn a 413 into a 440? is that worth the trouble? I WANT TORQUE. if the motor turns into ashes after 4500 rmp i could care less. I WANT TORQUE AND I WANT IT RIGHT OFF OF IDLE. stump puller, if u will. ;D that damn ford ad about the ice breaker that sometimes needs seven diesel engines needs to get "showed up" if'n ya know what i mean...

·
Premium Member
26,084 Posts
Well you could use any head they all interchange, you could stroke the sb also

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
using the crank from a 440 would not gain you anything, it's the same stroke as the 413. and boring it out to 440 is out of the question, it's too much to bore. remember you can only bore to .060", a 440 has a bore of 4.32", a 413 thas a bore of 4.19, that's 0.13" overbore. if you did overbore it to .06" you get a 426 cid engine. yes heads are interchangable, except for a few technicalities, such as max wedge heads on a 383/400 (no available intake) and hemi heads will not fit on the blocks without mods to the block for the pushrod clearance. if you want heads that will have hardened valve seats, try a big block from the late 70's. one of these are the "346" heads. I'm not sure what year they switched to hardened seats, so I won't give you any other possible casting #s.

·
17,423 Posts
fourwheelerinparadise said:
so if i get one out of a mid 70's truck, i will need a new set of heads? will any bb heads work? or are they specific? will a 440 crank and overboring turn a 413 into a 440? is that worth the trouble? I WANT TORQUE. if the motor turns into ashes after 4500 rmp i could care less. I WANT TORQUE AND I WANT IT RIGHT OFF OF IDLE. stump puller, if u will. ;D that damn ford ad about the ice breaker that sometimes needs seven diesel engines needs to get "showed up" if'n ya know what i mean...
according to my book (chiltons) the specs for a 413 engine are: 1967-68 2bbl carb [email protected] torque=373ft/[email protected]
1967-68 4bbl carb [email protected] torque=407ft/[email protected]

would that be enough torque for you off of the line or did you have plans to pull down mountains. ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
26,084 Posts
i believe the earlier 13's made a bit more hp

·
Registered
53 Posts
I might be able to help you with your dilemma: Use the 413 if you don't stumble across a 440-it'll have most of the torque of a 440, since they have the same stroke. I would call Engle Cams and tell them your combo, and see what cam they recommend. I use them for all my big block chrysler cams because they are one of the few manufacturers that make cams optimized for the chrysler's big lifter. (.904") This means the lobes on their cams have steeper slopes, which causes the valves to open and shut faster. That gives you more valve lift more quickly than cams made by other manufacturers. Nobody ever made much torque by keeping the valves at low lifts as long as possible, if you catch my drift. So, what this all means is that for a given duration, a cam ground to take advantage of the chrysler lifter size will have more lift than a cam not ground that way, and will thus produce both more torque and power. The good news is that your intended rpm range will require nothing special at all in the valvetrain. Your old rocker arms, rocker shafts, and pushrods will do just fine if they are in good shape, unless you decide to run a solid cam. If so, you'll have to replace the rockers and pushrods since the adjustable stuff is different. I'd advise you to run a hydraulic cam though-you probably wouldn't see much difference between a hydraulic and a solid for what you're trying to do. On heads: I'd go for a set of 452's. They came in most big blocks from '76-'78, so they're practically falling out of trees compared to most other big block heads. They flow pretty well stock, and they all have fully hardened exhaust seats. They are also particularly easy to port compared to 906 heads if you should decide you want to do it yourself with a MP porting template. As you can tell, I'm a major fan of the big block. In fact, I don't remember where you live, but if you live near Montgomery, AL, I have a spare 440 block and a couple of sets of 452 heads. If you were interested, I'm sure we could work something out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a spare 440? that just doesn't make sense. spare and 440 don't go together, do they? i would be very interested in hearing some numbers from ya. e-mail or im would be cool.

thanks

·
Premium Member
26,084 Posts
Everyone has spares, as soon as another 1 pops up there goes your spare, i have at least 1 spare for just about everything well hard to find stuff not like spark plugs, but blocks and cranks,manifolds,heads,trans,rears, all kinds of stuff

·
Premium Member
26,084 Posts
I missed the industrial part somewhere sorry i was thinking 413 as joined in with the 440 earlier, a 413 industrial motor shouldn't be lined up with a 440, i think that there was a 500 inch industrial motor made for like 2 years if you want industrial motors

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
intenseimages said:
according to my book (chiltons) the specs for a 413 engine are: 1967-68 2bbl carb [email protected] torque=373ft/[email protected]
1967-68 4bbl carb [email protected] torque=407ft/[email protected]

would that be enough torque for you off of the line or did you have plans to pull down mountains. ;D ;D
no dude, i don't wanna pull it down, i wanna see what it looks like from the top ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Moparx7 said:

As a torque engine they're hard to beat, but that's due to the overall design............they're a low rpm engine and have very small valves, tiny port size to aid in port velocity, and of course low compression.........on the order of 7-1, and merely bolting on say a set of "452"'s would not exactly be an enhancement, since adding larger valves to an already low compression/rpm engine would be a detriment to torque.

Bolting it in as-is would be ideal, except you'll have a few problems to surmount, such as radiator and fan placement, exhaust, etc. While it's not exactly an exotic swap, it's by no means a "bolt in" affair.
Jay
sounds like a whole donor truck would be in line...could i use unleaded gas? can i still go on the freeway? (i only do about 60mph now) its not an exotic swap and its not a "bolt in" swap so... hold out for a 440? i'm really slow here, and i'm really not tryin to drive ya nuts with the ?'s

thank for all the help and wealth of information

·
Premium Member
26,084 Posts
You can stroke your sb that you already have

·
Premium Member
26,084 Posts
In the 400lb range and be effecient

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok, ya got my attention. gonna do a search for this. back in a minute...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, i can see myself goin to the jy and gettin a 360 and strokin it. be forewarned, i'm gonna drive ya'll nuts with this one. i hate doin things twice. can't afford to do things twice. where can i get this "stroker kit?" seems like a good place to start huh?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
ok, i can see myself goin to the jy and gettin a 360 and strokin it. be forewarned, i'm gonna drive ya'll nuts with this one. i hate doin things twice. can't afford to do things twice. where can i get this "stroker kit?" seems like a good place to start huh?
Make that two of us that are interested in stroking(whoa, the wife peeked over my shoulder after I typed stroking, so I had to explain that it is an engine term) a 360

Rich

1 - 20 of 45 Posts