Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( yesterday I put my 1991 Ramcharger in 4 H and ran it for a couple of blocks. When I put it back in 2 H, the 4 wheel drive light indicator on the dash stayed on. I tried to go back and forth from 4 H to 2 H and still no change. When I go into 2 H, the truck does go back into 2 wheel drive but besides the light staying on, there is a whining noise coming from the front. Any ideas what could be the problem? Could the front hubs be staying locked ? Anyone know exactly how these automatic 4 wheel drive indicators work?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Sounds like your Central Axle Disconnect is not disengaging. The switch is activated by the vacuum motor on the front axle, drivers side. There have been numerous posts on this.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
heres what i ahve to do in my jeep to get that light to go out..... put it into reverse and back up about 20 ft. it makes it so the front axle can disconnect from the rest of the system.

·
29,451 Posts
If you drove it on pavement in 4wd (which you shouldn't be doing ;)), you have bound up the discconnect in the axle. If backing up doesn't help (good chance it won't), you may need to jack up the front end and give the wheels a spin, then lower and try driving it again (in 2wd).

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
what KThaxton said. and as to how it works, check out his very helpful FAQ about the CAD.

Duane

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
I had the vacuum switch on the top of the transfer case stick and cause the same thing. It could also be a bad vacuum motor.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Turbo2go said:
I had the vacuum switch on the top of the transfer case stick and cause the same thing. It could also be a bad vacuum motor.
if im not mistaken, the switch for the light is on the CAD, so since the vacuum switch didnt unlock the CAD, the light didnt go out. this would be the next thing to check Elac, if jacking the front end up doesnt solve the problem.

Duane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts