21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
About how long does it take to install?

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
LOL!! Depends on a few different things. Do you have air tools? has the truck sat outside a lot? Have the spring shackles EVER been greased? Do you have a torch(oxyacetalene) to cut old parts off? Did you soak EVERY nut and bolt you will be removing with a LOT of penetrating oil? For at least a week? Best guess? anywhere from a weekend with the right tools and some luck, to about 3 months working on it when you have time and with hand tools. (mine took about 6 weeks or so)

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I'm 14 so I don't have a shop however, we do have a automechanices shop with about every sort of tool I need lifts, torch, air tools etc so getting the proper equipment isn't a problem. I'm just asking because where I live we have lot of mud and When I get a ram it's heading straight fro the mud. Most people don't have a garage around here so most likely I'll get one that been sitting out in the open since new and most people don't pay attention suspention so the shackles probbaly wouldn't be greased alot if ever but what does it matter?

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
If they haven't been greased, the best thing to do is cut them off and get new ones. Getting the bolts out of the sleaves is gonna be a ROYAL pain otherwise.

·
Registered
114 Posts
For those who have put on this kit, how much trimming did you have to do? And is it true you dont need the steerring blocks with the borgeson column?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I did no trimming whatsoever. It also depends on how big of a tire you want to use. My lift is appx two years old now, and it has settled down an inch or so. I think the 32's are a good fit, with lots of room for flex. I could go to 33's easily and still have plenty of flex room. As far as the steering block goes, unless you get an adjustable drag link or a dropped pitman arm, you will need that steering block. A borgeson shaft has nothing to do with the amount of correction you will need for lifting it. The borgeson shaft is a good purchase though. Check out the product review of it.

Randall

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I am now thinking of getting this kit again...grr can't make up my mind..

Anyway did you guys have problems with the steering wheel not re-centering itself after installing this lift? Also is the adjustable drag link needed for alignment purposes?

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
adjustable drag link helps having equal steering, as well as a dropped pitman arm. I think this is the best all around complete lift setup for the price. The only thing I don't like about this kit is it comes with a steering arm rather then a dropped pitman arm.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
If you order from Rocky Mountain Suspensions, they have a dropped pitman arm for not that much, and depending on the kit they will replace the steering block with it for a discounted price. It pays to be a gold member ;D

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Any comments on this kit being rough riding? On another forum everyone calls it the "Rough Riding" lift and says stay away from it. Thats everyone that has never tried it........uggghhh

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
I loved mine! Rode and handled nice!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Mine rides fine. I have the Rancho RSX9000 shocks on there now, and that made it even better. I would look at a way to attach the sway bar up front though. After the shocks get broken in, you'll get some roll going into corners. It is a little rough when you first install it, but after the springs soften up, it's all good ;D

Randall

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have also heard rumors of the kit being "rough riding" and hard to install, but from most of what I have read on this post, most everyone loves the kit. It is definitely the least expensive and you seem to get everything you need in the kit w/o having to buy a bunch extra.

I did talk to Rocky Mountain Suspension though,and they don't really recommend the kit, due to feedback from the customers that the springs really start to sag after about a year, which is when the warranty runs out. They recommended Skyjacker, which is the most expensive, but comes with a LLT warranty. Also Tuff Country has a LLT, but they currently have no feedback on it.

Sooo, my question is to those that have had the kit for over a year or so, how is it holding up?? I know the springs will settle, but are they still doing a good job keeping the height and handling off-roading? I would definitely prefer this kit, but wonder if I'll be disappointed in a couple of years.

TIA for any replies! Have a good one!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I heard that the springs don't sag as fast as the skyjackers, but who knows...its just what I've heard...

My suspension is SHOT so I don't see how my ride could get any worse...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I installed one of these kits 8 or 9 months ago on my '90 W150 and I can say that I have no complaints! The only problems that I had was getting the bolts out of the leaf springs, it seemed that the bushings grabbed them and wouldnt let them go! I either had to cut them out, or melt the bushing and take a "air hammer" to get them out! I had the same problem with the shackels, since they dont sell shackel bushings I had to get remanufactured shackels from the dealer. Another problem that I had installing the kit was the "cone washers" used for the steering arm, I had to end up getting a torch and cutting them out. And then there was the leaf spring bolt next to the fuel tank, had to drop the fuel tank to get that one, cause I couldnt get the bolt in the right way. For anyone that is going to install this kit, I reccomend getting all new bolts, shackels, getting a torch, and having the time to do it! It took me a little over a month to do this, but thats working out of my driveway and not being prepared (lots of trips to the auto parts stores.) I didnt install the shims and have no vibrations what so ever (maybe Im just lucky!) I also didnt get a longer driveshaft. My ride quality is a little stiffer then stock, but isnt that bad at all! Im running 35x12.50 and they rubbed when I hit a huge bump off road, until I tapped in the front frenders a little. I have taken my truck off road before and after this kit, and I can tell you once you have wheeled with a lift kit and bigger tires you wont be able to go back!!! All in all it was worth the pain, sweat, and time, I am very happy with the results!!!!!! ;D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just put my lift on this past week. No air tools, just hand tools. It took my friend and me about a day and a half to put the kit on. Springs all around. So fsr I love it. My rear u-joints were toast. I found this out as soon as I started to drive it. (what a racket) Took the rear shaft off and had new Spicer joints added and had the whole thing balanced. I ran into a few snags on the insatll. The first; the rear u-bolt were about 1/16" bigger than the holes in the top plates. They needee to be reemed out a bit. The second; The dropped pitman arm was thicker and I had to loosen the power steering pump and mounting bracket, then grind the end of the arm to get it to clear. To get the rear shckles off, I removed the rear skid plate and used a large screwdriver as a lever and pushed on the side of the gas tank and had pleanty of room to remove the upper bolts. So far I think the RC rides much better than the old, saggy springs. And the RC looks way cooler now. Next comes a set of 33" BFG's.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I installed this lift roughly (no pun intended since it would have been bad anyway) a month and a half ago with Wannago2Moab. It took the two of us about 9-10 hours to install. Granted, I was screwing around and talking on the phone most of the time, but he still got it done for me!! So it's more like it took Wannago 9-10 hours to install himself.
As far as alignment goes, I threw mine on the rack at school and it was all in spec, even with the shims installed in the front. I'm pretty sure I got lucky with the alignment, my thrust angle was nearly perfect .001 degree, front camber caster and toe were all pretty damn close too.
However, my steering wheel is turned to the left 90 degrees going straight down the road, and I can't make any left turns without having to re-engage the left turn signal. An adjustable drag link will help correct the problem (although I can't justify $200 for one).
In my opinion this kit is awesome for the money, it is a little stiff, and I don't recommend using the shocks that come with the kit. I hit potholes, speedbumps, and dips really hard, and the H8000 shocks just have too slow of a rebound rate for any practical use, even off-road.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Take off your steering wheel and put it back on with the wheels straight. You'll probably have the same problem with your turn signal, but the wheel will at least be straight. If you can find you a dropped pitman arm for a reasonable price, that will fix your steering wheel problem, too. I went the adjustable drag link route myself. The springs will soften up over time. Had mine on for over 2 years now, and it's dropped about 1", but it's all good. I went another shock route, too. Got some Rancho RSX9000s back in September last year when they had the "buy 4 and get the in cab control unit free" offer going on. Haven't got the incab set up yet, but the shocks are night and day difference. Going to have to get my sway bar hooked back up now, since the springs are soft and so are the shocks. I have a lot of roll going into turns, and I don't like that too much.

Randall

·
Registered
293 Posts
So it is worth the money to get better shocks??? Is there really that big of a difference?

21 - 40 of 66 Posts