Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
bolt pattern is the same, take some creative work on flex plate hookup.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
4.7 is hte hemi right ? i am sure it would never bolt up to a 727 . hell u have to have the newer tranny to make it work cuz of engine electronic control . that and the flex plate would have to be one off . i would go with early 90's MPFI magnum . much easier to deal witha nd u can use a NV 4500 5 spd to it .

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
The 4.7 is not the Hemi. I'm not familar with the new generation of Mopar engines to conclude if a 4.7 or 5.7 Hemi would fit a 727. If the bolt pattern of the 4.7 is the same as the old 318 and 360 then your chances of making the 4.7 work with a 727 increases.

Ed

·
Registered
193 Posts
4.7 has differnt auto then the 318/360's in the dakotas. We had one in a dakota quad cab. What a gas hog! 11-12 was all it would get. We have a durango with the 360 in it. It has more power, better torque and gets 15-16 pretty easy. I wouldn't have another one of the 4.7. I had my wife get the 4.7 thinking it would get better economy then a 360 truck. Also got the dakota because we didn't need another fullsize truck, but hell, my old 93 cummins 4X4 would always get better milage then the new 4.7.

Sorry for the rambling, did I mention my distaste for 4.7's?

Michael

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Don't start trying to compare Cummins mileage to the gas motors.. I have a 2.5L Dakota.. and would be better off with a Cummins Dually for the fuel efficiency

·
Registered
193 Posts
Oh but why not? 7000# 4X4 with 33" mud tires with 200,000 miles on it, pump turned up, and bigger injectors, compared to a computer controlled all aluminium engine brand new street tire 3500# truck with high tech overdrive auto that has 2 second gears, one for accelerating from stop, on for passing. My old truck has no aerodynamics, and a new dakota is pretty smooth, low to the ground. Hell my dad's semi get 8.5-9 miles to the gallon at 80,000#. I cannot fathom that a brand new high tech engine barely gets double digits. I understand the 2.5, its underpowered for the truck right? Of course its not gonna get any economy, your working the crap out of it all the time. Its not like my cummins gets 20 anymore, but it will knock down 17 regularly. Why couldn;t the 4.7 do that? Not trying to start an argument, but why can't the little truck get better milage then a big old truck?

On a related subject the dakota wasn't much faster then my diesel, that was me shifting the manual.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Zapnca I aplojize for jacking your thread, shouldn't have replied the second time. In the first reply I was just stating that the 4.7 uses a different trans then the 318/360. Is it a daimler motor, I think it is. My expereince with the motor did not impress me, and was just letting you see my experience with it.

Why are you interested in this conversion?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its ok...Im just trying to gt out of a rutt. I have an 89 5.9 4x4 that gets 8 mpg on the highway and 5 in town. I have tried everything i could think of and i just cant break the 10 mpg. New plugs wires cap rotor timed checked for vacuum leaks new injectors thermostat new manifold temp sensor everything i can think of. just dont know what else i could do other than putting a mpi magnum engine in. I would be happy with 12 mpg.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You'd be better off with a MPI 5.9L magnum than a 4.7L in a full size truck,.. the 4.7 Ram wouldn't be much better than my Dak with the 2.5L.. It'd be too overworked to get enough of a difference to make it worth the effort.. Maybe get one of the 5.7Hemis that people are pulling and selling on E-bay.. I've seen harness, computer & tranny come with them.. How about a 5.7Hemi, 5spd AT, and a divorced 205? that way you could use a 2wd drivetrain.. and mate it into a 4wd truck.

G

·
MMiller said:
Oh but why not? 7000# 4X4 with 33" mud tires with 200,000 miles on it, pump turned up, and bigger injectors, compared to a computer controlled all aluminium engine brand new street tire 3500# truck with high tech overdrive auto that has 2 second gears, one for accelerating from stop, on for passing. My old truck has no aerodynamics, and a new dakota is pretty smooth, low to the ground. Hell my dad's semi get 8.5-9 miles to the gallon at 80,000#. I cannot fathom that a brand new high tech engine barely gets double digits. I understand the 2.5, its underpowered for the truck right? Of course its not gonna get any economy, your working the crap out of it all the time. Its not like my cummins gets 20 anymore, but it will knock down 17 regularly. Why couldn;t the 4.7 do that? Not trying to start an argument, but why can't the little truck get better milage then a big old truck?

On a related subject the dakota wasn't much faster then my diesel, that was me shifting the manual.
Careful, you sound like me. You'll have everyone thinking we're related or something.

G

·
zapnca said:
Its ok...Im just trying to gt out of a rutt. I have an 89 5.9 4x4 that gets 8 mpg on the highway and 5 in town. I have tried everything i could think of and i just cant break the 10 mpg. New plugs wires cap rotor timed checked for vacuum leaks new injectors thermostat new manifold temp sensor everything i can think of. just dont know what else i could do other than putting a mpi magnum engine in. I would be happy with 12 mpg.
New timing gear and chain made a huge difference in my dad's RC.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
If your having gas mileage probs check what gen1dak said and also check your brakes to make sure they aren't sticking. Check all your fluids, trans t-case, axles. You should be able to get better mpg than that. My 85 with a 318 can get 15-16 on the highway at 65mph, consistently with stock tires. I'll be interested to see how it does with the new 35's ;D

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
360's are usually gas hogs but they will do better then 5 and 8 if they are in good mechanical shape. My dads 87 with 360 will get 9 hwy and city and its modified. As far as the 4.7 gas mileage goes my boss bought an 03 quad cab dakota last summer and he gets 18-19 with it and it has a 4.7. Although i've heard and seen they are pretty thirsty in full size rams.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Have a 2002 full size quad cab with the non-hemi 4.7, its getting 12 to 15 city, and 18 to 20 MPG on the highway, and the QC is just a tad over 5,000 lbs (only a 2wd). Have also had the same milage on a rental 2004 full size quad cab 4x4 with the non-hemi 4.7. I think it could be a good candidate for a swap if everything would fit, I make it a rule of thumb to never go to a smaller size engine if you can get away with it!

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Sounds to me as if the airflow sensing part of the injection system is reading high (thinking it is flowing more air than it is) and enriching the mixture way to much...

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
I had the 4.7 in my 2000 Dakota, and it was the only part about the truck I liked. My gas mileage wasn't great, I would get 16-18 with it, no matter where I drove it. If you click on the "Dakota Lemon Law" link in my sig, it'll tell you why my Dakota sucked @$$.

Zapnca, do you get any codes from the computer? I would check the MAP sensor or the O2 sensor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts