Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question. My 360 went bad a while ago and i cant seem to find a 360 to replace it. but i did find a 383. will my intake manifold fit onto there or will i have to buy a chebby? sorry for these newbe questions but im not all engine knowing quite yet ::).

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
No, they will not interchange. Rebuilding the 360 would be cheaper than buying a chebby.

·
2,317 Posts
383 chevy? or a mopar 383?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Nope. The 360 is a small block, the 383 Mopar is a big block, and the 383 Chebby....well...thats a sh_t block. ;D

Ed

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually i was not aware they had a 383 mopar. I was just under the assumption that it was a chevy. So it wouldnt be worth putting in a chevy 383?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Yes the 383 Mopar has been around along time, since the 1960s

The 383 Chebby is not really a production engine. It's basically a stroked 350, often sold thru GM or built by the aftermarket, but it's not something you'll find in a new Chebby car or truck.

Although alot of people like to stick a Chebby engine into anything that rolls, installing a Chebby engine into a non Chebby chassis will add additional costs. Now you could install a Chebby engine into a Mopar, but why drive a crossbreed ?

As much hype as the 383 Chebby gets, it really isn't as good as a 383 Mopar. If you look around, the 360 is a pretty common engine to find. You might also come across a 318 for real cheap. Sure it's not a big engine, but don't let them fool ya, the 318 can be made to run with the big dogs anyday.

Ed

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rxt i have been thinking that the whole time about crossbreed would i then be a chevy charger lol. but anyway i went down to the local scrapyard/junkyard yesterday to figure out how much a 360 would be and to my luck the only one i could find was being pulled as i got there. one last thing i have been looking for a 360 for roughly a month and can not find a reasonably priced one.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
I apologize for hi-jacking this thread, but I have a question related to the Mopar 383 vs the 360.

Question: Are the motor mounts different? Do they just bolt on or will I have to hack off my 360 motor mounts and then weld up new ones?

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Raminator said:
I apologize for hi-jacking this thread, but I have a question related to the Mopar 383 vs the 360.

Question: Are the motor mounts different? Do they just bolt on or will I have to hack off my 360 motor mounts and then weld up new ones?
the 360 pretty much has its own mounts, even in relation to a 318. the 383 would use big block motor mounts

eric

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
intenseimages said:
Raminator said:

the 360 pretty much has its own mounts, even in relation to a 318. the 383 would use big block motor mounts

eric
So, do they bolt up or will I have to relocate them? What I'm really concerned about is needing to weld them and hack off the old mounting points.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
are you referring to the brackets that bolt between the engine and the frame? cuz that is what i am referring to, and if so then there is no need to cut anything off, just go buy some big block brackets

eric

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
intenseimages said:
are you referring to the brackets that bolt between the engine and the frame? cuz that is what i am referring to, and if so then there is no need to cut anything off, just go buy some big block brackets

eric
Excellent. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
225 Posts
It hasn't been mentioned so just fyi the 383big block will not bolt up to the 360 small block bellhousing/automatic transmission.Neither can you exchange flywheels/flexplate because of balancing interference.I realize this may not be good news ,but at least you did'nt find out the hard way.The best way is rebuild or replace the 360 , if you add a quality cam/intake ,some minor head work it will perform surprisingly well,good luck.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
mad dog said:
It hasn't been mentioned so just fyi the 383big block will not bolt up to the 360 small block bellhousing/automatic transmission.Neither can you exchange flywheels/flexplate because of balancing interference.I realize this may not be good news ,but at least you did'nt find out the hard way.The best way is rebuild or replace the 360 , if you add a quality cam/intake ,some minor head work it will perform surprisingly well,good luck.
Thanks for the info. I got a guy here who will use the 2wd BB tranny that it comes with and use some 4x4 parts from another 727 to make it work. From what I've heard, he does some good sheeeit. :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Chevy small block, including the 383 stroker is a poor design. The only reason there is so much after market support for it is because they made so many of the damn things and because there are so many delusional people out there that think it is a good design. They are junk motors that will not compare to a good 360 build.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
cragdweller said:
Chevy small block, including the 383 stroker is a poor design. The only reason there is so much after market support for it is because they made so many of the damn things and because there are so many delusional people out there that think it is a good design. They are junk motors that will not compare to a good 360 build.
You are referring to the Chebby 383...not the Mopar 383?

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Raminator said:
cragdweller said:
You are referring to the Chebby 383...not the Mopar 383?
yes he is, the mopar 383 is the same basic design as the rest of the BB/RB family

eric

eric

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
So, wtf should I do? I've got a successful engine already. Do I take the chance? Perhaps I'll fix up the vehicle that the 383 is coming out of and make it a 3rd vehicle/work truck? ???

Actually, that is not a half bad idea. ;D

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Raminator said:
So, wtf should I do? I've got a successful engine already. Do I take the chance? Perhaps I'll fix up the vehicle that the 383 is coming out of and make it a 3rd vehicle/work truck? ???

Actually, that is not a half bad idea. ;D
hey man no worries, you will not be unhappy with the 383 over the 360 or a 318. after all they didnt use the mopar 383 in muscle cars for nothing.

unless you are telling me that you have a stroked over chevy 350, in that case try and get rid of it ;D

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Yeah, I didn't think the 383 was THAT bad. I owned the vehicle this sucker is coming out of before and it was powerful. My buddy (whom I sold it to in order to purchase an engagement ring) has been driving it hard for the last year and a half with no worries; just a radiator going out; boo hoo! ;D

And I like the power. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts