Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a set of 40x15x17 ground hawgs and when they arrived I found out that they are only 36"s. I guess I could have sent them back but the 44's were another hundred bucks a piece. So I'm gonna go with these. I ordered a 5 inch lift system with rear springs, adjustable drag link, steering block, and all four shocks from the same company and it was about a grand. I'm pretty sure the 36's will fit but I want a second opinion. Oh, and it's a superlift, has anybody had any problems with that company before? How is the spring rate? Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
29,723 Posts
its says 40 on the tire and there only 36 inches tall or you paid for 40,s and got 36,s

the tires will fit just fine on the road mite tickle the fenders a little in the woods / what ya gonna do about the front driveshaft / should have gotten the Superlift front driveshaft spacer / be forwarned the steering block is the biggest PITA to change in the world

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
get a drop pit man arm worth the extra coin man .... might need a body lift for good off road ability or a little fender modification lol ....

·
Registered
412 Posts
I got a skyjacker 6'' and just got a steering block to start with, how hard are they to put on????????? I'm putting it on at a big farm's shop so I'll have torches welders and everything along with a overhead crane :D (beats slowly jacking up a diff to lift the whole truck)

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
The steering block is a pain to do because the steering arm has to come off first for it to go on. Those cone washers are a pain to get out. You ordered 40's but you got 36's? I would send them back . I know GH"s dont' measure as tall as they say, but not 4 inches shorter. Unless you got the 36's by mistake. Either way if you paid for 40's I would expect 40's if I was you. But to answer your ? Yes you should be able to clear 36's with 5 inch lift. I cleared 35's with 4 inches and some fender trimming.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered 40's and they say 40 on the tire but the actual diameter is only 36"'s. How can they get away with that?? Obviously a marketing scheme right?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Something is wrong with the tires then. Not sure but I would call them and send them back, something defintly isn't right

·
Registered
397 Posts
i would have expected 39 inch tires .
that would not have surprised me ,but 36s?

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
good point! What size rims?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AHHH, good point. I'm going off of what my Brother said on the phone. I know they're not mounted so I guess that would do it. I won't be able to mount and measure until I get back from Iraq. I guess this means I'm gonna need more lift huh???

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah and some cut out fender flares and a hell of a set of bump stops. I have 38.5 boggers /w a 6 inch skyjacker lift (skyjacker sucks look for my old posts on that) with bushwhacker cut out flares which increase the wheel wells by about 5 inches front and back and they STILL RUB when i get her flexin i'm installing some of the 4 inch tall urethane bump stops thell compress down to like 3 or 3 1/2 inches and the stock ones that dont really compress are only 2 inches so it should work out cause the tires just hit the way it is now. If your running 40s your gunna need to either get a 6 inch lift w/ a 2 or 3 body lift or go for an 8 inch lift which would maximize your travel but also maximize your drive line probs. with my 6 inch lift i needed a new front drive shaft and to get the steering up to my standards i had to go with a cross over and rock ram setup without it the truck was compleatly out of control i know i flipped the last one i had because of it Oh and if your running 40s i hope your planning on some dana 60s too cause those 14 bolt front bearings are gunna fail like every 4 months

Sorry for all the bad news but trust me lifting it is only like 1/3 of the job you need it to be strong, steer good, break good and accelerate good. That means idealy you would get dana60 axels w/ 4:10s, rock ram/cross over, and rear disc breaks, and 1 ton rated high angle driveshafts Thats about another 3,000-4,000 bucks if you do all the work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ran 38.5 /15"G/H's with a 4" rancho and a 3" body lift with some fender rub on a 78 1/2 ton short box B/B auto 203 4.10's. Then went to a 6" skyjacker with 3" body and ton axles with 40" super swampers same some fender rub in the rear front fender area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts