Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
welp, for you regular viewers of the board, you may remember a couple weeks ago I posted stating I was doing a 360 buildup this week, and this is correct...

my vacation well spent on engine building... Anyway, I got a question I need help with

In the FAQ, (318 to 360 swap) Gunpilot says you can use the stock torque converter but because the 360 is externally balanced a special flexplate is needed. Okay, I can't tell any difference between the 318 and the 360 rear ends. Somebody please clarify this for me. The flywheel and torque converter are one in the same on my application.

And anyway, since I already baught the B&M flexplate I'll go ahead and install it, but it has 1 edge of it lopped off, significantly changing the balance of the flexplate, so how do I key this in properly? I can't tell any grooves, markings, or otherwize on my torque converter that would indicate how to put the flexplate on there, and on the back of the 360 there is an edge lopped off of the crankshaft output where I'd bolt the flexplate up, so does this mean I should put the lop on the flexplate opposite of the lop on the crank to balance it? How do I do this...

Chief

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
The plate will only go on 1 way and so will the converter, otherwise the holes won't all lign up, so mark it on your converter before putting it on the motor

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
The plate will only go on 1 way and so will the converter, otherwise the holes won't all lign up, so mark it on your converter before putting it on the motor

·
Registered
100 Posts
There should be a marking or sticker or something on the flex plate that says "this side forward" or "this side to motor" than everything is keyed from there.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Mr. Jones said:
There should be a marking or sticker or something on the flex plate that says "this side forward" or "this side to motor" than everything is keyed from there.
from reading your orig post, you are going from a 318 to 360. are you going to use the orig 318 convertor? i am not a small block expert, but i think there is a weight on one of them, either 318 or 360. maybe some of the small block guru's can clarify what you need to do in this regard. good luck -- sheriff

G

·
The 360 requires the external weight for balancing. As Evil... mentioned, the bolt pattern is specific, and will allow only one way for a correct match. The B&M unit will be drilled with this pattern as well.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Just replace the torque converter with a new one or a rebuilt unit. I picked me up a rebuilt unit for $65 and yes the 360 has the weight while the 318 doesn't. The flex plate should only go on one way. This is a flex plate and not a fly wheel right? Auto tranny vs a manual tranny.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Ok, lots of replies here, but I am not sure you got your answer. From the factory, chrysler welded weights on the torque converter of the 360's to create the correct balance (in conjunction with a properly weighted harmonic balancer). Chrysler used the same flexplate on 318's and 360's, and just used the weights on the torque converters. Many aftermarket flexplates (such as the B&M) are balanced on their own, and therefore you can (must) use a neutral balance torque. So, if you bolt the B&M plate on your 360, you either have to knock the counterweights off the 360 torque converter, or buy a neutral balance torque converter (for a 318 for example). As already covered, everything bolts up only one way, so it is difficult to botch, with the possible exception of trying to install your flexplate backwards.
william

1 - 8 of 8 Posts