Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 82 ramcharger with a 79 360 in it. It ran kinda bad when i got it, so i put a new set of Accel Super Stock 8mm wires on it, and a new cap/rotor and plugs. The timing order is perfect, and i never moved the distributer. So why does this thing not run? Once in ahwile i will get a sputter but thats it. It has spark/gas/compression but no start.Any idea's will be appreciated. thanks

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I try to start with basics....if it would run (how ever poorly) before you changed that stuff and now it won't, maybe you connected the plug wires wrong. Is the wire to the coil tight?

Mind you, I'm not trying to be insulting, just trying to help.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i had the same problem with my PW... ihad two of the wires crossed and it just would not fire. just double check your wires and if thats not it we'll figure something out!

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Yip, check wire position on everything. Tight and all. This morning I went out to move the 75 and it wouldn't turn over at all, no dash lights or anything. I was so pissed for the second before I realized I unhooked the battery ground when we pushed it to the street ;)

derek

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i went out and checked the firing order again. It was perfect. 18436572. i turned the distributer and the vacuum advance was hitting the back of the intake. Then if fired up. it runs alright when you give it alot of throttle, but otherwise it sounds like a tracter running. and it doesnt idle

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats what i was thinking. I know it needs a carb. So tomorrow im gonna put my new edelbrock 4 barrel intake on it, with a carb. also new fuel filter and try it again

·
Registered
171 Posts
Check it with a timing light as well. My RC acted the same. When I put a timing light on it at idle & capped the vaccum advance, I watched it jump in & out of timing (Distributor bearings were worn out). A new distributor fixed it! :)

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
If you have fuel, air, compression and spark, the only thing that would keep it from running is timing. Get a timing light on it...

-SM

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
ROCKCRAWLINRAM said:
Check it with a timing light as well. My RC acted the same. When I put a timing light on it at idle & capped the vaccum advance, I watched it jump in & out of timing (Distributor bearings were worn out). A new distributor fixed it! :)
Going off on a tangent, I had this happen on the 1st RC I owned. I got a re-manned dist from a discount parts store and then had other dsit related probs. Someone here suggested that I try a known good dist. I did, and sure enough, the troubles went away. The re-manned dist was a piece of crap.

·
Registered
397 Posts
this should be an easy fix
bring #1 cylinder up to top dead center on compression stroke ....remove cap look where rotor is
place #1wire there.
watch wich way rotor turns and put wires in that firing order 18436572 diregard any #1 marks on new cap
if that dont work check dist. for any slop inside at plates use known good coil bad coil =backfire and popping

overall your post leads me to think distributor ...,.my thoughts is ignition not carb

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im gonna put a different distributer in it and see what happens. I finally got it to where it will idle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts