Dodge RamCharger Central banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 360 V8 in my '96 ram, and it's been leaking a little 1.5" diameter puddle of coolant every once in a while. I just pressure tested it and the pressure begins to drop about 1psi every 5 minutes. as it gets down around 14.5-15psi it slows waaay down. The coolant loss is completely imperceptible from above.

My guess is intake manifold. If this is the case, that it's a slow leak at the rear of the intake, would that drip down onto the tranny bellhousing then down onto the ground - that's the path it seems to be taking.

Next question - how big of an issue is this. I assume it may or may not become a larger leak, but I don't want to go through disassembly of the entire top end of the engine for a squirt of coolant daily. There has never been any antifreeze in the used oil. So i doubt it's leaking inward to the valley pan, if it is the intake gasket.

It certainly isn't the heater core lines. They are fine, and i'm sure a pinhole in one of them would open further with pressure and puke a ton.

HELP. I would like to get this as resolved as possible as soon as possible.

Also, how much for that single plane intake that is sold for these efi trucks?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
619 Posts
i would say an engine bolt that runs into the block (thats what leaks on mine), but i dont think there are many of those on the rear of the block. degrease your engine to the point of extreme cleanliness and keep checking for leaks. if it is from the intake you can choose to re-seal the intake, or leave it. its hard to say wether the leak will get bigger or not.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
The early magnums are notorious for blowing head gaskets.... :( I do not have the link, I am sure someone will post the link to the TSB on this.

-SM

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Slanted_Mind said:
The early magnums are notorious for blowing head gaskets.... :( I do not have the link, I am sure someone will post the link to the TSB on this.

-SM
Say what? I don't believe that. I've never heard anyone ever complain of blowing a head gasket on thier Dodge truck and i have a couple of early Magnum engines with quite a few miles and never had a problem.

As far as the problem goes with this leak i'm 95% sure its a freeze plug on the back of the block. There is no bolt holes that lead to coolant on the back of the block. The intake gaskets are pretty high quality and would rarely ever leak. I have seen rusty freeze plugs on magnum engines though.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
chrysler300le said:
Say what? I don't believe that. I've never heard anyone ever complain of blowing a head gasket on thier Dodge truck and i have a couple of early Magnum engines with quite a few miles and never had a problem.
Have a few friends at the local dodge dealer (two of them techs) and they tell me the most common problem on the 94-98 18's and 60's is head gasket failure. I know I was reading about this somewhere too???

In either case, I hope it is a freeze plug rather than a head gasket...

-SM

·
Registered
423 Posts
DUDE!!!! This JUST started happening on my 318 TODAY!!! Please figeure this out and then come fix mine! ;D

I cannot find the leak either! drips straight off the tranny bell housing. Only mine is a lot bigger. Something I gotta fix now, but I won't have time until next weekend.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
a small amount of phosphoric acid or commerically available leak finder and a black light will do the trick. dont use this for anything other than coolant system tho.

geniouses where my dad worked rebuilt a big diesel (think it was a cat for a a payloader) and they found an oil leak. they poured that stuff in and within 30 minutes the engine was in need of another complete tear down and rebuild.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Slanted_Mind said:
Have a few friends at the local dodge dealer (two of them techs) and they tell me the most common problem on the 94-98 18's and 60's is head gasket failure. I know I was reading about this somewhere too???

In either case, I hope it is a freeze plug rather than a head gasket...

-SM
I think what you are referring to is a propensity for the 94-98 magnum heads to CRACK in the combustion chamber between the intake and exhaust valve.

i'll try the leakfinder route.

jason

·
Registered
116 Posts
Degrease as best you can under and around block mine was a freeze plug behind the starter sneaky lil bugger

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
hillbilly wagon said:
Degrease as best you can under and around block mine was a freeze plug behind the starter sneaky lil bugger
You have responded to a 10 year old post...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.