Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 85 Ramcharger has a 360 that I would like to do some upgrades to in the future. Currently it has headers and exhaust, an Edelbrock aluminum intake, and an Edelbrock 4 barrel carb, 600 cfm. Other than that it's stock. I'd like to get 350 or so hp out of it, nothing crazy. Those who have built 360s, what parts would you recommend?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Q: just for my own info....can you pass emissions testing with those upgrades?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Q: just for my own info....can you pass emissions testing with those upgrades?
As far as the motor itself I'm not sure. My truck would never pass emissions because it does not have cats on it. But I also live in Idaho where they don't do inspections so I never have to figure emissions into my decisions.

·
Registered
'79 Dodge Power Wagon Macho
3,917 Posts
You could install a little more aggressive camshaft and a better ignition system and a bigger carburetor. Emissions standards are based on the year of the vehicle, so a '79 truck will need to meet the Emissions standards of 1979 not the year 2021.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could install a little more aggressive camshaft and a better ignition system and a bigger carburetor. Emissions standards are based on the year of the vehicle, so a '79 truck will need to meet the Emissions standards of 1979 not the year 2021.
So is there some sort of rule of thumb for determining what size carb is best? I've heard some guys say that going too big on the carb makes the motor run worse. Definitely want a more aggressive cam, I love the way those sound. Just not sure which one to get.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
In layman's terms a bigger carb makes more power but kills your fuel economy same with a camshaft. Rich is power, lean is economical. The size of the carb and cam depends on what you want from your engine. Do you use your truck for work or pleasure? Do you want to pull stumps out of the ground or be fast from light to light? Answers to these questions will determine what carb and cam you should use.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bigger carb makes more power but kills your fuel economy same with a camshaft. Rich is power, lean is economical. The size of the carb and cam depends on what you want from your engine. Do you use your truck for work or pleasure? Do you want to pull stumps out of the ground or be fast from light to light? Answers to these questions will determine what carb and cam you should use.
I built the truck to wheel. It has 35s and 4.11 gears so it isn't fast, nor do I need it to be. It's my daily for now but I live in a small town so don't put a ton of miles on it.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I would choose a cam that makes good power off idle to about 5500 and at least a 650 cfm carb that has been fattened up a bit or a 750/800 cfm carb for the extra grunt.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would choose a cam that makes good power off idle to about 5500 and at least a 650 cfm carb that has been fattened up a bit or a 750/800 cfm carb for the extra grunt.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the info. What has been your experience with Holley vs. Edelbrock? Do you know if the Summit carbs are any good?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Where at in Idaho? I'm in Canyon County.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Holleys are excellent at the race track and work well on the street but the Edelbrock carb is excellent on the street as well as off road. Edelbrocks like low rpm whereas the Holley tends to like more rpm. You can get the truck avenger Holley that is designed for off road and will work well but I really like the Edelbrock Thunder AVS off road carb best in my experiences.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Holleys are excellent at the race track and work well on the street but the Edelbrock carb is excellent on the street as well as off road. Edelbrocks like low rpm whereas the Holley tends to like more rpm. You can get the truck avenger Holley that is designed for off road and will work well but I really like the Edelbrock Thunder AVS off road carb best in my experiences.
I thought about the truck avenger but some of the reviews I read said that they had problems with it running too rich on level ground since it's designed to run on an angle. I'll look into that thunder carb. Thanks.

·
Registered
301 Posts
As far as the motor itself I'm not sure. My truck would never pass emissions because it does not have cats on it. But I also live in Idaho where they don't do inspections so I never have to figure emissions into my decisions.
LUCKY!!!!!!!! Got a room for me? 😂

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice. Next time I'm up that way I'll look you up

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Edelbrock doesn't make the AVS carb any longer as its been replaced by the AVS 2 now, which has better atomization than before. It's the boosters that make the difference. I might sell my AVS and buy an AVS 2 myself actually.

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
Currently it has headers and exhaust, an Edelbrock aluminum intake, and an Edelbrock 4 barrel carb, 600 cfm. I'd like to get 350 or so hp out of it, nothing crazy.
your current setup is making that much HP already [ your at 300 or better now ] the ONLY way to go from here is UP and l mean way UP = Radical cam and BIG Carb and you LOSE everything that makes it a NICE drivable truck for street and trail , it aint a race car but thats where your headed

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
your current setup is making that much HP already [ your at 300 or better now ] the ONLY way to go from here is UP and l mean way UP = Radical cam and BIG Carb and you LOSE everything that makes it a NICE drivable truck for street and trail , it aint a race car but thats where your headed
Well it's already got a lift, 35s and a rear locker so it ain't exactly a cadillac on the road. I'm not worried about road performance. I really don't NEED more power, this is more of a want.

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
my 1985 RC with a 318 2bl with 16/35/16 pro-cut Boggers will haze the hides on dry tar , its all in the Combo of Cam and gearing

if l were you l,d keep the engine combo you have and do gearing or swap to Dana's with 4;10's [ your engine setup is what everyone wants and is a solid combo ]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my 1985 RC with a 318 2bl with 16/35/16 pro-cut Boggers will haze the hides on dry tar , its all in the Combo of Cam and gearing

if l were you l,d keep the engine combo you have and do gearing or swap to Dana's with 4;10's [ your engine setup is what everyone wants and is a solid combo ]
It's got the factory D44/C 9.25 but has new 4.11 gears. I mainly want the cam for the better sound, and I either need a new carb or have the one I've got rebuilt. Secondaries don't work.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts