Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at an 88 RC 360 Throttle Body Injected Full-Time 4x4 (that's the NP203, right?). The seller in the newspaper is asking $2200. The ad says 2nd owner with 91k miles.

I talked to the guy on the phone and will probably go look at it tomorrow. The 82 RC 360 - 727 - NP 208 that I own was wrecked a while back. I'm looking at finding another.

Any opinions that anyone has, or anything that I should keep an eye out for, would be appreciated.
Also, would I be able to put my NP208 in place of that 203. (Doesn't tranny matter?)
Or should I leave the 203 in place.
Which would give beter gas milage.

Thanks in advance,
Gonzo

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
is it stock? if so, it wont be a 360 TBI, and it will have a 241 tcase with full time hubs and the CAD. if a 203 has been swapped in for some reason, you can swap the tranny and tcase from the 82 in with no problems.

Duane

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't ask him if it was stock & he didn't say. But I asked what engine it has and he said 360 TBI.
I'll find out more about the t-case tomorrow.

He said that it has running boards. And he is an older guy, so I figured that it hasn't been off-roaded. But that doesn't mean anything.

Is there anything that I should be cautious about when looking at this truck?
Is the 241 t-case strong or would ya'll swap in the 208 (I have a skid plate for it).
I am gonna lift it and run 35s.

Gonzo

·
Registered
30,059 Posts
the 241 is WAY better than the 208

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
in 88, only the 318 was TBI. so if he says its a 360 TBI, either its really a 318, a 360 has been swapped in or converted to TBI, or its not really and 88, but maybe an 89. when you go back, get the vin number and run it through our decoder. and yes, the 241 is better than the 208. if the RC doesnt come with a skid plate, then the one from the 208 will fit. look through the FAQs for info about the CAD so you can have an idea about it when you go look at it.

Duane

·
5,142 Posts
yeah, make sure you get all the info right.

What these guys have said is right. Should not have a 203, should be CAD front axle.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The kid I bought mine from told me it had a 360 EFI (88 4x)
when I got it and looked at the block it was a 318
It did have a 241D (heavy duty) t'case and a CAD

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is what I have come up with after looking at the truck:

The transfer case ID tag read: 241 HD - 1
Door jamb tag read - MFG 12 / 87
The VIN Decoder gave me...

3 Country of Origin Mexico
B Make Dodge
4 Type of Vehicle Multi purpose vehicle
G GVWR 5001-6000#
W Truck Line 4wd
1 Series 150
2 Body Sport Utility
W Engine 360/5.9 4BBL (Federal) or 225/3.7 2BBL for 82
X VIN Verification
J Model Year 88
M Assembly Plant Lago Alberto Assembly

I still don't know if is TBI because I was in a hurry today and I didn't remove the air cleaner. So I assume that it's a TBI because it started right up without touching the gas pedal. I'll check it next time I look at the truck.

Thanks for everyone's help so far,
Gonzo

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
if it is a TBI, the TBI has been swapped in. dont assume its a TBI just because it started up with out touching the gas. ive drove many carbed trucks that did the same, and many EFI trucks that didnt.

Duane

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Wasn't '87 the last year for carbs?? Why not just pop the hood and look at it? When you take off the air cleaner you'll see 4 black plastic caps in the air horns. Those are the injectors. It would also have a Message Center next to the 4x4 light, which will have a CHECK ENGINE light that comes on as soon as you turn the key to run.

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
88 318s were TBI, 88 360s were carb. in 89, the 360s went TBI.

Duane

1 - 11 of 11 Posts