Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after all this time i got some time to tear in to that 360 i got..come to find out the number 5 and 7 pistons have all kinds of black shit on them and they were stuck in place till i busted out the bp blaster. My ? is should i rebuild the 360 or just hone the walls? i got new heads for it so thats a +.

G

·
You can't hone the bores without pulling the pistons. If you pull the pistons, you're halfway thru a rebuild already. If it were me, I'd check the bores to see if it needs bored oversize. If it does, don't do it half assed, rebuild it right the first time.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I agree. If your going to build it, stroke it. When the 400 decides it too tired we are going to stroke it. Hopefully before that happens I'll have the 440 back.

·
Registered
29,666 Posts
to me it sounds like you got a little water in 5& 7 / if the motor ran fine before it sat / just clean up those two / use some steelwool [no soap in it] and motor oil to clean the bores / it should be fine if its just a lite coat of crud

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BOGGER35 said:
to me it sounds like you got a little water in 5& 7 / if the motor ran fine before it sat / just clean up those two / use some steelwool [no soap in it] and motor oil to clean the bores / it should be fine if its just a lite coat of crud
that about what i was thinkin...good to hear, money dont grow on trees for me so i gotta be cheap lmfao :p

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
How can you tell if your engine needs to be over bored? I'm seriously putting in some thought about rebuilding mine, heads and all. Anyone know where I can get a kit to rebuild the heads? Trying to be cheap, but good.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Your machine shop will have a tool they stick down in the bores, and it will tell you a precise measurement of your bore, and they should do it one way, then turn it 90 degrees and do it the other way, to make sure the cylinder aint out of round...so one time parallel to the engine, and the second time goin across it...if you dont need to bore it, i wouldnt waste the money, just hone the cylinders and get std size pistons to put back in it...

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Lonewolfdodge said:
How can you tell if your engine needs to be over bored?
Scratches in the cylinders, a substancial amount of wear (ridge), or just to start from a clean perfectly done straight bore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.