Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my 318 is getting worn.so while its still running i want to build up the next motor.im gonig to do a somewhat mild build up.i just want to have enough get up and go for the 38"s that are going on there.witch sould i get? im looking at a 360 because thay will fit were the 318 was with no problems and good 360s around here are easy to find.But i dont know how hard it would be to fit a 400 in place of the 318.and thay arnt as easy to find.

so should i go with the 360 build it up a little.or hold out untell i can find a 400 and go with that?BTW i would go with a 440 but its hard as hell to find a GOOD one here.maybe im looking in the wrong spots

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would it be worth wile to get the 360 and stroke it?(i heard that takes it up to 405cid or something).and how much did the extra parts cost for the bb?and could i take the bell housing from the same truck i got the BB and just use that with my 727

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
new84 said:
would it be worth wile to get the 360 and stroke it?(i heard that takes it up to 405cid or something).and how much did the extra parts cost for the bb?and could i take the bell housing from the same truck i got the BB and just use that with my 727
you would pretty much have to find a big block automatic to swap in, if it was a 4speed truck then you could swap bell housings. another thing you will have to worry about is the brake booster, the big blocks used a smaller booster to clear the valve covers, you can make it work wit ha ;arger brake booster if oyu dont mind pulling booster to pull valve covers.

of course i see nothing wrong with stroking the 360 other than the cost. of course you can still push well over 300 ponies and close to 500 foot pounds in the 360 without stroking it.

all depends on your budget and exactly what you are wanting to do

eric

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
You'll be hard pressed to get 500 ft lbs from a 360 that ain't stroked. More like 400-450 is the best you can expect.

My engine is only making 425 ft lbs or so, and except for the cam & pistons, it is capable of over 550 hp.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im looking to get to the 350hp and 400ftlbs.how much would i be looking to strok a 360?

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
well, the basic kit from Mancini racing is around 1600, and that does not include balancing (another 400) or a forged crank or cam. You will also have to do some machine work on the block, and ya better make sure yer head are up to it...and trust me, if they are stock, they ARE not.

I'm making just over 400 in both areas, with a fairly small cam (473I 491E) and only 9-1CR. But, I spent a good bit of money onheads/intake and port work. My top end can easily support 550 hp.

When I stroke my engine, I am going with a roller cam that is 488I 510E, & the same top end, and I expect 475 hp & 525 ft lbs. from that combo. And still run on 87 octane.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
TheRamChargerMan said:
You'll be hard pressed to get 500 ft lbs from a 360 that ain't stroked. More like 400-450 is the best you can expect.

My engine is only making 425 ft lbs or so, and except for the cam & pistons, it is capable of over 550 hp.
ok so ONLY 450 foot pounds in a non stroked version. like that is something to complain about. lol

as far as the 350horse/400 foot pounds that is well within reach on a non stroked engine, and also capable of getting this for under the price of a stroker kit.

eric

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Stroke it, then figure about $4k

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
could i beef up the 360 to were its makeing the power i want,than later down the road if i want to stroke it?

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
new84 said:
could i beef up the 360 to were its makeing the power i want,than later down the road if i want to stroke it?
yes you can, as far as upgrades, with just a decent cam change, i will be making around 250 HP and 360 foot pounds of torque. peak HP is around 3500 and i will have over 300 foot punds from 1500 all the way to 4500 rpm

wouldnt take that much more to get the numbers you are looking for.

eric

G

·
Marty is right- 4 K for stroking it, no problem. A basic swap to a BB and some mild upgrades you could probably get as much torque and HP for around 2500 bucks- if the 400 was a good runner. After market pistons and cam would be the main items of expense. Do the head work yourself.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I say to go BB as well.. KISS.. Keep It Simple Stupid. Yes, you can build a small block to have the same performance.. but dollar for dollar.. You'll get your power more economically out of the big block.

G

·
I have raced and built numerous BBs and SBs- I love them both. I can't say anything bad about a SB mopar- they are great motors- far superior to any other factory SB IMO- but- for a truck, you can just get more low end grunt out of a BB. And putting a 440 crank in a 400? practically peanuts compared to stroking a SB- you only have to buy off-the-shelf pistons now- and you can get a reasonable compression ration !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts