Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i gotta 360 i wanna put my 318 tbi intake on and i got a problem here maybe yall can take a look and tell me whats wrong... the 318 intake and the 360 4bbl intake are the same BUT the dont fit the heads right from what i can see tell me what ya think heres a few pics.....

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yeah and the problem is, just tighten it down and stop worrying about it, look at the pictures again and see that those holes have no effect on anything

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
well, isn't there a difference in a magnum & non magnum??

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
marty look again theres a water jacket open there i know that has a effect on things............. thats what im worring about

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4027569 360 1977-86 1.88 1.60 Head casting Number.............. i found that at mymopar.com
4179930 1971-89 360 5.9 4.00 V-8 block casting..............found that at butlers-a1.com/dodgem.htm

All i want to know is why that water jacket is stickin open

G

·
taz_man440 said:
well, isn't there a difference in a magnum & non magnum??
That's not what he's dealing with here. A Magnum smallblock ('92-up) intake has intake bolts that go straight down into the heads, like the 426 Hemi, while prior smallblocks (LA's...even the 340 "Magnum" of the late 60's-early 70's was an LA) have intake bolts that go into the heads at an angle.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this 360 is a la motor just like my 318

G

·
Rebel Ram said:
4027569 360 1977-86 1.88 1.60 Head casting Number.............. i found that at mymopar.com
4179930 1971-89 360 5.9 4.00 V-8 block casting..............found that at butlers-a1.com/dodgem.htm

All i want to know is why that water jacket is stickin open
Far as I can tell, it has something to do with the 318 TBI and 360 4bbl intake NOT being the same. The 318 TBI intake is a bit shorter in the area you're talking about. Not sure if that's the only issue, but it accounts for at least 1/16 of an inch of it. The TBI intakes were also the first LA intake manifolds to have the rear water passages opened after some 20 years on the market. While Mopar claimed "..better late than never..." I suspect it was done to provide a more stable intake temperature to more closely manage emissions. It also helped reduce the oil coking in the intake. The exhaust crossover is cast into the intake and has no removable parts. The EGR passages were reworked, and no telling what other little tweaks were done. If you're planning on using the TBI system, the 360 TBI intake would be a better match. If you tried the 318 TBI gasket, you'd run into problems with the smaller port opening of the gasket not sealing the large 360 ports properly, but maybe you could do a little port-matching on it. Even if you get the 318 TBI to seal, you're gonna be choking that 360 with the smaller passages of the 318 intake.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Thats not a water jacket showing. Thats just a cut out hole next to the water jacket that is showing. You can bolt it on and go, but the 360 will be severely restricted.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but what u guys dont see is that the 318 HAS the larger ports....they are the same as the 360 i tryed usin the 318 intake gaskets and they were the same i put the intakes side by side and there is no difference in them so i dont think that this intake is gonna be restricted at all.......

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I'll bet a million dollars it doesn't leak water, well not from there anyway.

That intake port looks awfully rusty though

G

·
Rebel Ram said:
but what u guys dont see is that the 318 HAS the larger ports....they are the same as the 360 i tryed usin the 318 intake gaskets and they were the same i put the intakes side by side and there is no difference in them so i dont think that this intake is gonna be restricted at all.......
And what you do not understand is that the 318 LA engines ALL had small ports, EXCEPT those cop packages with 360 intake and 360 heads, and none of them were TBI units. Only since 1992 with the Magnum-series engines have 318's and 360's had the same heads.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
chad,

maybe if you could point out exactly where you are looking at a water jacket it owuld help, i agree with marty on this, that intake looks like it fits fine, same as all of the ones i have installed.

eric

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i looked at the other heads with the tbi intake on that same jacket is open i didnt really look at it but on the other heads on 318 that port is all gummed up with old oil and shit off the motor so marty was right i was just worried about it but this is my first carb to tbi i have done i havent really worked with anything but carb stuff so its all new to me..... thanks for all the help guys. Gen1 the ports look to be the same size on the 60 heads as they are on 18 intake. so im confused on that part on u sayin the the hp heads are bigger then the 18 heads

G

·
Mopar didn't exactly run everything from R&D by me, so there's always a chance I missed something, but I have a 318 TBI intake, and placing it next to a 360 head shows the same difference in size that has always been the reality in the LA-engine world. The 318 has small ports. The 360 has big ports. Is it possible you have a 360 TBI intake?
".....ports look to be the same size...." At a quick greasy, grimey glance, I'm sure they do. Measure them.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I would be more concerned about the intake ports sealing up. If you use a 360 intake on a 318 head, you must use the 360 gasket. I am not sure if it works the same going the other way.

That is not a water port, but merely a cutout in the gasket.

Use one gasket, and see how it measures up against the head, and BOTH intakes. to ensure it will seal completely.

·
5,684 Posts
Im going to agree with marty on this one. Chad i but a 360 intake on my 318 and had no problems, ProjectPW (noah) has a 318 block 360 heads and a 340 intake. so you shouldn't have a problem. if your still worried run a little bead of RV liquid gasket around your water ports. But also i don't see why you just don't runa 4 barrel intake? You will get way more performance than you would with the 318 tbi. But go ahead and try it and see it might give you the power you want. But i think you won't have a problem with the intake bolting down. If you do. then just pop out the intake and rea seal it or just throw the other intake on. Get er done ;D good look

1 - 17 of 17 Posts