Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need to know what all i need to put a 360 in a dakota?right now it has a v6 witha 5spd.

G

·
Heavier tranny. A 360 LA will require the bolt-in kit, see engine-swaps.com
A Magnum 360 will bolt right in just like the V6 (same mounts). Bigger clutch would be good, see the RAM truck applications. Are you gonna go carb or Magnum fuel injection? That will determine what flexplate you need, and the external weighting is different for Magnum and LA 360's.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what about wiring? its gonna be carb. can i still use that trans? will it bolt up? if not will a 727 fit in it?

G

·
You can use the same tranny, but it won't hold up for long. The AX-15 is the usual tranny for the V6. It's light duty. The RAM trucks have heavier NV3500's and they are hefty, will work. The 727 will also bolt up, or an A518. It is vital that you get the correct balance in the flywheel or torque converter as appropriate to what 360 you have (LA or Magnum). The LA uses a little more weight than the Magnum, so they cannot be interchanged. B&M sells a correct flexplate weight for both LA's and Magnums. If you're going carb, you can use the Mopar Performance ignition kit. However, due to the electronics, none of your gauges will work. You can add a bank of non-pcm-controlled electronic gauges. There's still the speedometer to work around, but I'm sure that can be dealt with as well. In fact, I believe this (http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm) coupled with an aftermarket mechanical speedometer would fill the bill. You will need to adjust the fuel system. The fuel pressure in the Magnum system will blow the carb apart so some sort of regulator with a return line would be in order. I would think an older TBI (late 80's) Dakota would be in order since they still used return lines. I suggest getting the Mopar Performance book "Magnum Engines" vol. 2 from Manciniracing.com. It's $10, and they have info/schematics on doing the ignition swap, etc.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
chrysler300le said:
Go buy a Dakota R/T. You won't regret it.
Sorry to jump in, but I have a chance to get an unassembled 5.9 RT from a 99 Durango. All the parts are there, for $300. Supposedly 20 000 kilometers on it. Is this a good buy? I'd snap it up if it were here, but I have to drive 8 hours each way to get it. Probably looking at maybe $120 bucks in gas (I'd throw the engine in my car ;) )

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
me too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts