Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The little ballast resistor thing that mounts by the coil.......how important is it really ?
Wondering if there is a different coil, or something that enables you to get rid of that thing......just trying to neat'en things up.

·
Registered
30,125 Posts
yes there is the BIG yellow coil from Excell that does not need the ballast

·
29,452 Posts
If the resistor you are talking about is mounted (from the factory) by the coil, it is not a ballast resistor. It is a resistor for your electric choke circuit, but I do not know its function or if you could get by without it.
The factory ballast resistor would be mounted on the firewall (on your 86), on the driver side by your ECU.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
KThaxton said:
If the resistor you are talking about is mounted (from the factory) by the coil, it is not a ballast resistor. It is a resistor for your electric choke circuit, but I do not know its function or if you could get by without it.
The factory ballast resistor would be mounted on the firewall (on your 86), on the driver side by your ECU.
Thats correct that small ceramic resistor on the bracket by the coil on the intake manifold is for the electric choke on the carb. I have mine bypassed because the heater timer part kept burning out. I use that just to jumper the 12volts to the choke.

Why do you want to remove it if its not bad?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know what the part number is for the Accel coil ?
Does that coil let you get rid of the resistor, or the box on the firewall ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Becasue I am changing intake and carb so I dont see a need to have it there. no more electric choke.

But I was mainly asking about the resistor for the coil "sorry" for my lack of proper terminology but there is a little white box on the firewall just below the drivers side hood hinge >resistor ? < and then there is the little box just to the left of the distributor on the firewall and I dont know what purpose they serve, and if at all possible I wanna get rid of them.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
By using the Accel coil you can get rid of the resistor. Does the box next to it have a diamond shaped connector and a round hump about the diameter if a nickle? If so, it is your ECU. You can't get rid of it. It is you ignition control. The box next to the distributor is your voltage regulator. Gotta keep it too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dang it, was hoping to chuck that crap too........................Thanks

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
if i remember correctly, when i installed my accell super coil (yellow one) it came with a resistor to be installed on a dodge...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts