Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
it is possible to go from efi to carb. u will need the new intake, carb, and distributor/ignition system. but why would u want to do this? the efi is SOOOO much better.

Duane

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
efi get better gas milage, and works way better off road than a carb. u would need a pressure regulator on the fuel line, and there will be some wiring issuse to take care of with the ignition system and the compter.

Duane

G

·
You're in luck. Edelbrock has introduced the Performer Air-Gap for Magnum....should be hitting the shelves soon. Your only other intake choice is the M1 from Mopar. As for EFI getting better mileage, ideally, that should be the case BUT, my personal experience has proved the opposite. My Dak barely managed 16mpg on a good day (usually did 15mpg), but my old 318 4V Charger managed 18-19mpg with mods (19+mpg stock) under the same conditions. The Charger would run circles around the Dak. Yes, the Dak was corked up with full emissions, but still, with a full 20 years difference, that really sucks. If you have an automatic tranny, you'll need a switch to flip to activate the overdrive.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
winrc said:
Im in a similar situation....but a little different. Will a 88-89 360 tbi go in a 85 318 w/ a carberator?........and if it will what kind of wiring mods would it take?
try starting ur own thread, ull get better responses.

dak, u are assuming that his efi is the MPFI of the 92-93 era. if it is the TBI, then its not magnum, and he is not restricted to the M1 intake, and if its an 88-89, then he will not have to worry about the transmission. and as far as gas milage, ur comparing a car to a truck, which isnt really a good comparison.

Duane

G

·
CLRracer said:
winrc said:
Im in a similar situation....but a little different. Will a 88-89 360 tbi go in a 85 318 w/ a carberator?........and if it will what kind of wiring mods would it take?
try starting ur own thread, ull get better responses.

dak, u are assuming that his efi is the MPFI of the 92-93 era. if it is the TBI, then its not magnum, and he is not restricted to the M1 intake, and if its an 88-89, then he will not have to worry about the transmission. and as far as gas milage, ur comparing a car to a truck, which isnt really a good comparison.

Duane
Yes, looks like I was thinking Magnum EFI. Sometimes these threads do kinda run together. Same answer applies pretty much. Edelbrock already make an Air-Gap for LA, but there are several other intakes available. Now, on the comparison. Sheeehs, I only grew up in a '68 and '70 Charger....my first car was a '69 Charger. You gonna sit there and tell me all that time I WAS IN A CAR???? I'm looking at the pictures of it. You sure about that car designation? Yeah, I guess it is a car. Now, I'll explain what I didn't the first time. '69 Charger: 318-4V/727/2.76 rear, single-point distributor/approx 3800lbs. No "sophisticated" electronics to squeeze out more mpg. '89 Dakota (that thing really a truck?) 318TBI/A500/3.90 rear, with OD the final drive is right about 2.70. With then-current electronics, every technical advantage, 20 years of so-called progress, it got worse mileage, was slower in acceleration and top-end. Spare me the aerodynamics debate. It wouldn't make that much difference between the two, especially around town. Do you get it now?

G

·
winrc said:
You'll at least need the TBI wiring harness, and you can splice the older truck's other wiring to run through the new computer. You will also need a TBI fuel system, or at least a high output electric fuel pump to generate adequate fuel pressure. Also, the torque converter for the 360 has balance weights, the 318 doesn't need these, so if you want to use the 318 converter, it'll need balance weights for 360 added to it. Not sure if the '85 had any sort of o2 sensor, but you will need one for the TBI.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
ramchargerrunner360 said:
i believe it is the magnum 360 so what intakes am i limited to then
what year is it? if its a 93 360 then its a mag, if not then its, well, not.

Duane

·
Registered
71 Posts
http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/satanjr1
i replaced the 318 in my 78 with a 360 from a 95. i used an m1 intake and a thermoquad along with a mp dist and orange box cause i hate computers on my truck. it wasn't that hard to do. she runs great.
check out my pics at this link.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts