Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys. i'm back once again with another question. ok heres the deal. i ran across a good deal on a AMC 360 motor and i'm wondering if it will work with my transmission and my motor mounts. i currently have a 91 dodge 150 short bed 4x4 with an auto tranny and 318. i believe that the tranny is 518 or 519 tranny. could i swap in the 360 motor with realitive ease? will alll my acessory brackets mount back up? keep in mind i don't have A/C. what would i need to make the swap possible? it seems like it's in fairly good condition. i think my headers will bolt up too so i'm really psyched about it. possiby thinking about rebuilding it mabey a little high performance!!! woo dang it would be a good leap from what i have now!!!thanks again

~zach~

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
The 360 AMC is an entirely different engine, not at all the same as a 360 MOPAR. It's a good engine, but won't just bolt right in,... not at all; and performance parts for it are even scarcer than for the Dodge 360.

Depending on the year, the AMC might have a torqueflite transmission which might be adaptable to the Dodge transfer case...

I don't know how far off the motor mounts would be, but that's just cutting patterns and welding brackets, so it's doable...

Get all the accessories and brackets with the AMC motor, because the brackets from a MOPAR 360 would either not fit, or require a fair amount of modification.

Unless you really enjoy a challenge, like when I put the 57 TBird engine in my 41 Ford, this is not an swap to get involved with... Better yet, find an old jeep to put the AMC in, and keep looking for MOPAR power for your Dodge.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Smokey said:
Better yet, find an old jeep to put the AMC in, and keep looking for MOPAR power for your Dodge.
I second that. However, if you decide to go this route, you can find a AMC 727 TorqueFight in the early-mid '80s Jeep pickup, cherokee, and wagoneers. The good ones before Chrysler bought AMC and screwed 'em all up. (I hate to say it about MOPAR, but they botched up a good thing).

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
And, if you do find the Torqueflite that bolts to the AMC engine, you can swap the tailshaft innards and housing from your 318 Torqueflite into/onto the AMC Torqueflite... Then, you'd only have to build motor mounts, adapt all the wiring, hope to find radiator hose that even come close to fitting the curves needed, and a few other things...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.