Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a 66 Dart GT that I will soon be in possession of, I have a 360 that I'm rebuilding (goal is up over 300 HP), a 904 that I'll be rebuilding (goal is to hold together), and I'm gonna need to choose a TC to start looking for. Someone on my other post in the open forum about my free 904 said something about getting the right rearend and gearing too, someone want to elaborate? I want to get everything down on paper before I start this project.

So what TC?
What rearend/gearing?
What else?

derek

·
Registered
30,144 Posts
l got every thing you need but its NOT cheap / 400 horse 360 / full manual reverse valve body 727/ 3.55 4.89 case 8 and 3/4 rear for a Abody with Kelsey-Hayses four piston front disc-brakes / l personnally SWAMPED the car at a 100 and all most died / there is a motor and tranny with drive shaft with 8 3/4 rear and the K=frame with the brake set-up for dare l say 1500 bucks / unless you wanna buy the drive train and the 2WD RC l have for 2500

G

·
BurnOut said:
For a 66 Dart GT that I will soon be in possession of, I have a 360 that I'm rebuilding (goal is up over 300 HP), a 904 that I'll be rebuilding (goal is to hold together), and I'm gonna need to choose a TC to start looking for. Someone on my other post in the open forum about my free 904 said something about getting the right rearend and gearing too, someone want to elaborate? I want to get everything down on paper before I start this project.

So what TC?
What rearend/gearing?
What else?

derek
Kinda depends on what you're planning on doing. Is this to be a street-driven car, or will you occasionally bolt on some slikcs and run the drags? The 904 has the advantage of a lower 1st gear ratio than the 727, so you can get away with stiffer rear gears, and still have good acceleration. Stuff some good parts in the 904 and it'll do fine. A nice B&M Holeshot 2100-2200 rpm stall converter (run an auxilliary tranny cooler) with 3.23 gears would provide a flexible street car with a cruise rpm that wouldn't drone you out of the car. If you have an 8 1/4 rear, add a limited slip diff, and have it freshened up with good parts, and if a street car, it'll be fine. Running slicks at the track will manadate stronger axles. For more beef, slap an 8 3/4 rear under it, but the 8 1/4 should get first dibs for street duty.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It'll be a street car to go cruising in and play around at the strip once in a while when there are open drags and mopar specific events. My friends are finally able to start a real car club at our school. I mean a Muscle Car Club...

66 Dodge Dart GT - 360
68 Chrysler Newport - 383
69 Pontiac Firebird - 400
66 Olds Cutlass - 350
67 Ford Mustang - 2something

The mustang happens to be my best friend since 1st grade, so we have to admit him despite his... mistakes.

derek

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
The 904's are pretty stout trannys. Many of the same parts are out there that there are for the 727. The 904 is really just a smaller 727.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So at this point I'm going to finish the 360, start and finish the 904, get them into the car with an 8 1/4 rear if that's what it's got and an 8 3/4 at any point along the way if it becomes available. Need a limited slip differential for the 8 1/4 that's most likely there, I can do that. You say a "B&M Holeshot 2100-2200 rpm stall converter with 3.23 gears." This is going to be a high HP car, and I want to be able to show it, but like you said I don't want to go mad because of the droning. Is this seconded by anyone?

derek

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The options for the holeshot's appear to be:
Holeshot 2000 1900-2100 RPM
Holeshot 2400 2300-2500 RPM
Holeshot 3000 2800-3200 RPM
Holeshot 3600 3400-3800 RPM

Which were you talking about?

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
2,317 Posts
the stall on your converter depends on car weight,gears, tire height and cam.there is more to it.for street use and some track time, 3:55 gears, no taller than a 28" tire. if you want a good power package for the top end, elde rpm performer intake,cam, lifters and a 600 cfm carb. use 9:0 to 1 or 9:5 to 1 pistons.1 3/4 primary to 3" collector headers and 2 1/2" exhaust with a high flow muffler. what year 360? get a set of j heads port match to intake. dont forget 360 are externally balanced and you will need a converter or b&m flex plate. just my useless info from my head.

·
2,317 Posts
you info on darts, check out bigblockdart.com. there are small blocks there also.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll check that page out, see if I can get in good with their locals...

derek

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
ok heres what i have in my 71 dart.... that thing was built for power thats not there right now.... 3184bbl, 904 auto and an 8.75 rear with 3.23 suregrip. one of the best smallblock setups that money can buy. at least for reliability. i HAVE an 8.75 housing that i can sell PLUS a gearset that i would throw in... the problem is its out of an early 70s fury i think... so it would need to be cut down. otherwise its been cleaned, blasted and painted. let me know if ya want it. as for hte brakes you can get those from stainless steel brake OR find a car that has em and take em that way....

G

·
On the Holeshot thing just tossing an example out there. It does appear that B&M no longer covers the 904....never did offer that much for it. MP and others do: http://store.yahoo.com/chucker54/mopper41.html
Just get a quality unit with a rated stall of around 2000 rpm. As has been stated, the actual stall will vary depending on vaious factors. Just changing tires will alter the actual stall of a given TC a bit. The high 3-series gives a good overall cruise rpm (I never really had a complaint with my 2.76 gears because it nearly always hooked up, and was Hell when 2nd gear kicked in), but coupled with the 2.74 first gear will let you get off the line nicely. A&A Transmissions has a nice and growing line of Torqueflite parts. For a sharper tranny, be sure to add a high upshift governor, at least a 5,000 rpm unit, add some sort of shift improver, and a higher ratio kickdown (a 3.8 sounds right for your goals). They also stock the reinforced band struts and other HD parts, and full rebuild kits at good prices. Free catalog. At least it'll give you a better idea of what's out there for the 904.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts