Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here’s the deal, I have a 318, trans and T-case out of my old PW. I may be picking up a 75 or 76 2wd with a 360. I have almost all the parts to build the 318 which I know could be used on the 360 instead. I was talking to someone last night that said I may not be able to use the tranny from the 318 for the 360 because of the way something is balanced between them. I don’t remember exactly what cause we were having a few cold ones. My question is, is this true? I have never heard of this before. ???

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
you can use the tranny jay, it is the torque converter and harmonic balancer that will not work.

the 318 is an internally balanced engine therefore there is no balancing weights on the torque converter or harmonic balancer.

the 360 is an externally balanced engine and requires the use of weights added to the torque converter and harmonic balancer.

so if you are just swapping the tranny go ahead and do it just keep the torque converter off of the 360 and put it in the tranny

about the only prob i could see here is if you have a lockup converter and the tranny isnt a lock up tranny

of course the other problem is you wont have a front axle to hook the tcase up to

eric

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, Basically, I'm junking the 2wd once I strip it for parts (if I get it). So I want to keep the torque converter out of the 360 trans and I can put that in my 318 trans? All of which are going to go into the TD. Pardon my slowness today I'm a bit hung-over.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
JayBear88 said:
OK, Basically, I'm junking the 2wd once I strip it for parts (if I get it). So I want to keep the torque converter out of the 360 trans and I can put that in my 318 trans? All of which are going to go into the TD. Pardon my slowness today I'm a bit hung-over.
ok when you get done stripping it, let me know what parts you dont want and send them my way ;D
also i have a bit of experience stripping these trucks, let me know when you are ready to do it and i will come help and show you some of the parts others miss that you will want to grab

as far as the torque converter, yes they will interchange

eric

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You got it! Wahoo. I hope I get it.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just went and scraped the block...it's a 318. :\'( :mad: :\'(

I will still be looking for a 360 I think. The clown that I am buying it from has put a new AFB on a 318 w/2 bbl manifold. I will get the carb though ;).

Thanks for clearing that up guys! :)

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
mtngoat said:
Hey, btw. Is that the same for a Chevy 305 to 350? Are the torque converters the same for these guys?
i beleive it is the same, i believe a 305 is internal and the 350 is external balance, i could be wrong though

eric

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.