Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 1976 w200 4x4 club cab is a 3/4 ton with supposedly 1 ton running gear. either my booster or master cylinder went and the auto parts store is asking what front axle i have, 3500 or 4500.
the tag in the door jamb says 3500, would the "1 ton running gear" make that any different. the truck is a factory 440 auto if that would help.
i can bleed the brakes until i'm blue in the face and everythings nice and the pedal is high until i start the truck and then the pedal steadily falls to the floor. that is only part of the problem, sometimes the throttle sticks open...full throttle...bad combo with a built 440.
any thoughts on the 3500 or 4500 front axle thing? i recently replaced the calipers. i checked the vacuum hoses too.
thanks!! -mark-

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
now i dont know for sure but when i was asked the same question when i bought my ball joints i guessed and the part fit so here is what i THINK
the dana 44 is the 3500 and the dana 60 is the 4500 now the question is which one do you have
also welome aboard

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yes, it does matter if it has a dana 44 or dana 60. The front axle should have a number cast into it by the cover. IF THE COVER IS THE SAME AS THE REAR it's a dana 60. The dana 60f equipped trucks had a bigger booster and a much larger bore master cylinder. If I had to guess I would say your truck probably has the dana 44 3500 pound front axle. You can upgrade to the larger booster but you must swap the larger master cylinder also. Hope that makes sense. Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
right on, i think i've got 44 in the front and 60 in the back. i will check 4 sure in the morning...so, i can put the bigger booster/master on if i wanted to?? i am looking at a combo deal either way, at my autozone, it's 120 for the 3500 and 150 for the 4500. if it gives better stopping power, it may be worth the extra dough.if it will fit that is....i thought i had danas all along, but should my rear axle say spicer?? thanks for the info so far.....it's helping. -mark-

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Dana Spicer was the same company. Look at your front axle. If it has balljoints it's a dana 44. If it has kingpins it's a dana 60.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
krustyclubcab said:
right on, i think i've got 44 in the front and 60 in the back. i will check 4 sure in the morning...so, i can put the bigger booster/master on if i wanted to?? i am looking at a combo deal either way, at my autozone, it's 120 for the 3500 and 150 for the 4500. if it gives better stopping power, it may be worth the extra dough.if it will fit that is....i thought i had danas all along, but should my rear axle say spicer?? thanks for the info so far.....it's helping. -mark-
Well you didn't have one ton running gear, but you should be able to use the one ton brake equipment.

It doesn't matter if the rear axle says Spicer. Both Spicer and Dana are exactly the same.

Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts