Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got the old 200 six out of the fairmont now , i'm starting to get it ready for it's new heart . it's the 340 from a 1970 duster -six pack ;D
i've got basicly the drive train ( i'd love to fix the duster but it is beyond repair budget).
Anyone ever done this ?, i know i am gonna do alot of custom fabs , after what i did in highschool = a 350 shove it
if you have any ideas or tips let me know , i wanna get this done and have fun at the track , it's gonna be a street car too

G

·
Do you really want to do this? Fords are known for their tight engine bays. They like to place their shock towers inside the bay. Have you measured the engine to see if it will fit between the towers with the exhaust manifolds on? Will the oil pan fit behind the crossmember? (Wasn't the 340 a mid sump pan?) You say you have the drivetrain, is it an auto? If so, will it even fit the tunnel of that little ford? How about the rear axle? If all this, and more, fits, what kind of driveshaft are you going to use?

The 340 probably weighs twice what the original motor weighs. Which means you will have to upgrade the front suspension. And brakes, what stops a six cylinder equipped Fairmont will be entirely inadequate for your setup.

Don't mean to rain on your parade but I think this is way beyond reasonable. I would like to see you prove me wrong though. If it could be done, that would be one hell of a sleeper.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
a straight six shouldn't have been that light of a motor; personally, I'd have just traded the Faimont body off for another duster or even a Valiant.
Engine should fit without major hassles, I've seen several Fairmonts fitted with 460's and those fit right in and still allow to close a complete hood.
If the front ends got a little sag to it when you get done, simply swap out the coils for some stouter ones; there should be plenty available.
I would say the easiest way to mount it would be to use the motor plates; unless you can make you mounts fit easy enough.
Just my opinion.
Aaron Wyse

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
You have a problem.

# 1. If you trully have a 340 6 pack duster your rich
# 2. a sb mopar is wider than a sb ford
# 3. Find a good body for it

The ford suspension sucks the car will never work right, the work involved getting it to work right it's easier to find another body like a duster or dart of coronet or roadrunner or satellite body something other than a fairymount

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Yeah, but,.. what he's got is what he's got... and getting access to something else takes money...
Although I'll admit putting a 3x2 340 in a Fairmont is trying to 'make a silk purse out of a sow's ear' it'd be a hoot.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i rough fitted it today and it will work with some mods , not too bad as i thought but could be way worse .
i'd really hate to put a 460 in here , but , i love the mopar idea . i'm gonna have to run custom headers , i've got the heavier springs , for free , i talked to a guy that did a 460 in his mont and used the same springs
At at least i am not putting a ford or chev motor in it although it is a ford it will be one a kind - the whole theroy on hot rodding right?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Custom headers may cost more than a duster or dart body

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If he found a place to order a set made to fit, they'd be a fortune.. I thought the header kits were priced pretty reasonably.. assemble and weld togeter yourself.
Aaron

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
awyseguy said:
If he found a place to order a set made to fit, they'd be a fortune.. I thought the header kits were priced pretty reasonably.. assemble and weld togeter yourself.
Aaron
Yeah have you tried making headers, there is a reason they cost so much to have made, so i say it is cheaper to find another body.
If you have to do it you might try a set of shorty headers but nothing is cheap especially when you put something that wasn't meant to belong there in something that never came with it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
No I haven't tried any of those header kits; I didn't expect them to be simple, but much cheaper. I agree on the idea of looking into the shorty headers.
I'll add another good luck on the project, and keep us updated.
Aaron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts